I need help... HRM Polar FT4

Options
I bought a Polar FT4 and received it today. I read the (very short) directions, it was easy to set & read. My problem is that I put it on 8hrs 21mins ago. I was at the pool for most of the day, I swam, floated, set in the shade, got back in, etc... but there is NO WAY I burned 1795 CALORIES TODAY!!! So am I only supose to wear it for the duration on my workout? What about short walks, up and down the stairs doing laundry... Am I just doing this all wrong??? HELP :blushing:

Replies

• Connymc
    Connymc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow look forward to hearing the answers as I need a HRM!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I only wear my hrm when I'm doing exercise I'm going record as exercise. I don't wear it for activities that are included in my lifestyle setting (active).

Depending on how active you were in those 8+ hours you very well could have burned that many calories. On a semi-rigorous bike ride I just burned 950 in 2 hours.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You probably did burn that during the day. But some of that would just be normal stuff.

I have the same HRM- I only wear it during work outs.

Laundry is part of your everyday life. I would not track it for that.

I don't wear my HRM all day- just at the gym, if I go for a bike ride, rollerblading, etc....
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I normally wear my HRM when I am doing my exercise for the day. I would not wear it all day due to the fact that MFP take in account normal daily burned calories when setting your goal.
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You should only wear it for the time you workout! Use the MFP BMR calculator to figure out your daily rate of calories burned...use the polar to add in your exercise calories!
  • arnoldnagy
    arnoldnagy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You may have burned 1700 calories today. Your body burns calories all the time. You need to understand that you did not burn 1700 EXTRA calories today.

~Arny
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    You probably did burn that during the day. But some of that would just be normal stuff.

I have the same HRM- I only wear it during work outs.

Laundry is part of your everyday life. I would not track it for that.

I don't wear my HRM all day- just at the gym, if I go for a bike ride, rollerblading, etc....

exactly..

i'm sure you burned that amount, on a daily basis i burn about 3000 calories, but i only use mine for workouts and its somewhere between 400-800 cals average.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Whoa, very crazy. I wear it all the time (the wristband), but I only put on the chest strap and start when I'm exercising. Daily activities that are already a part of your routine shouldn't be included. My question is how long did you have it on? If you had it on all day, you are going to burn around that, because our bodies are burning calories constantly... just not as much when we exercise. Also, the FT4 isn't built to track your resting heartbeat... however, I'm a little fuzzy on that. There are other brands that track calories burnt all day though.

The FT4 is really amazing though, just make sure to only wear it during workouts, so you can get an accurate read and log it in. I'm not sure if this helps, but I hope it does!

Edit- I should read correctly... you did put on how long you have it! Sorry!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have that exact same HRM and I think you only wear it while you are exercising. I was also curious because my usual run is 30 minutes of running. Then I go through a park where I let my dog off leash so he can jump in the ditch and run around. I walk or stand during this time, which is usually about 10 minutes. Then I run back home, which is only a couple of minutes. Should I wear my HRM the whole time, or pause it during the park time? My heart rate is still pretty high during this time, but it feels like I'm cheating.

And what about if I were to go skiing? Would you wear it while on the chair lift or pause it?

It's so confusing....
  • vicki915
    vicki915 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've read alot of reviews, and for the price (Amazon $52 & free shipping :happy: ) I really like the Polar FT4. I mainly bought it for Zumba & the pool. But I'm still really confused on if it's the right reading at the end of a day?? I hopw we both find out, lol. I would still suggest this one.
  • vicki915
    vicki915 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    OK, now I think I understand. It's reading my swimming AND my basic resting body calorie burn. So I CAN NOT count this reading as being accurate for today. I should only wear it DURING my exercise sessions!! :flowerforyou: Thanks guys. NOW.... how do I use it for when I'm at the pool (because I already have the chest strap on). I'm guessing "Pause" or take off the wrist band? but what about when I'm treading water and still working up a good heart rate??? LOL, maybe I should call the company! Thanks again guys.
  • Rickh123456
    Rickh123456 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I wear my FT40 only during exercise. It ticks up calories very very slowly after I have cooled down, so I am guessing you really did burn that many calories; however, I wouldn't recommend wearing it when not exercising because leaving the transmitter attached to the belt longer than necessary causes unnecessary drain on the battery.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    OK, now I think I understand. It's reading my swimming AND my basic resting body calorie burn. So I CAN NOT count this reading as being accurate for today. I should only wear it DURING my exercise sessions!! :flowerforyou: Thanks guys. NOW.... how do I use it for when I'm at the pool (because I already have the chest strap on). I'm guessing "Pause" or take off the wrist band? but what about when I'm treading water and still working up a good heart rate??? LOL, maybe I should call the company! Thanks again guys.

You can wear the whole HRM in the water.. just don't press any of the watch buttons under the water and make sure to wash the strap after every dip in the pool as chlorine can skew the readings if not properly washed afterwards.