Honey Vs Sugar

Options
I've been learning a lot since I started logging. I always thought honey was better than sugar and I suppose it is because it's not processed and it has a slightly lower glycemic index vs sugar; but it has way more calories.

Now that my logging has shown me that I eat too much fat and too many calories overall I've been hunting for ways to reduce calories without reducing intake too much.

Honey has about 60 calories per teaspoon vs 16 for sugar.

This adds up too for me because I drink 3 cups of coffee every day. It sounds funny, but that extra 130 calories that doesn't come from honey could be an apple or slice of cheese or anything else that might keep me full.

Just wanted to share..

Maybe it helps someone else too.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I use stevia instead.... No calories spent, that I can use on food instead :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Splenda for me.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Splenda here-I use 1/2 pkt in my coffee and then I also sprinkle a bit into my green smoothies. I do use raw honey, but only as a spread on toast, once or twice a week.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the flavor of honey. I once had coffee with real maple syrup and that was truly delicious.

I do like my coffee/tea very sweet and I use liquid sucralose drops. Zero calories.
  • prettyxpetite
    prettyxpetite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the sugar alternates and I feel your pain. I drink a lot of tea and if I have the calories to spare I opt for honey, if not I go for sugar. I use runny honey which is about 30 cals per tsp but doesn't seem to compromise on sweetness.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    They're all fairly low in calories unless you use a lot, so I don't worry about it other than controlling the amount I use. At any given moment, I have a couple kinds of sugar, many kinds of honey, some maple syrup, some molasses, and some sorghum all on hand. Which to use just depends on what it's going with!

I'm not really into the so-called "artificial" sweeteners, but they do come in handy for people with dietary restrictions.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love honey, and like trying different ones from different locations (near different plants). I wish I had more use for it, since it plays on my geekiness about stuff like that. However, I think it is no different than sugar for nutritional purposes (certainly in the amount one would normally consume), but when I want to add sweetness for cooking savory items (which isn't that often), I will use honey more often than sugar. There are some fun recipes with honey in my (more geekiness) Game of Thrones cookbook. On the other hand, I use sugar in plenty of sweet baked goods.

Mostly just posting to say that honey is about 60 cal per tbsp, not tsp. So it's about 20 per tsp. And you'd think sweetness-wise it wouldn't make much difference -- honey is probably more because it's liquid so you get a bit more in a tsp.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Oh, as for coffee, I've never liked it sweetened, and love it black. On the other hand, I buy into tea with honey as a sore throat remedy and am not giving that up!
  • prettyxpetite
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mostly just posting to say that honey is about 60 cal per tbsp, not tsp. So it's about 20 per tsp. And you'd think sweetness-wise it wouldn't make much difference -- honey is probably more because it's liquid so you get a bit more in a tsp.
    oh good to know! might have been misreading my jar :blush:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I love honey, and like trying different ones from different locations (near different plants). I wish I had more use for it, since it plays on my geekiness about stuff like that. However, I think it is no different than sugar for nutritional purposes (certainly in the amount one would normally consume), but when I want to add sweetness for cooking savory items (which isn't that often), I will use honey more often than sugar. There are some fun recipes with honey in my (more geekiness) Game of Thrones cookbook. On the other hand, I use sugar in plenty of sweet baked goods.

We have a local brand called "postcode honey" - they literally have the postcode from the hive location on the jar :) I always look for one near me, no luck yet!
  • prettyxpetite
    Options
    We have a local brand called "postcode honey" - they literally have the postcode from the hive location on the jar :) I always look for one near me, no luck yet!

I need this! Local honey always helps my hayfever in the summer
  • tdelnay
    tdelnay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I switched from white sugar, to Splenda, and for months now use only raw unfiltered local honey to sweeten coffee/tea/oatmeal. I agree the calories are higher, but love the flavor and am trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Honey and sugar are the same for our bodies. Enjoy whichever one you want. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't sweeten drinks but I love honey in my stir fries.

Off topic but WTF There is a game of throne cook book?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've recently found that measuring honey by weight is the way to go -- this is easiest with a squeeze bottle. Just put whatever you are adding the honey to on the scale, tare, and droozle the honey in. Works a charm.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Wow, I've never watched an episode but my hubby loves it.

Going to do him a game of thrones meal :)

Thanks!
  • mariahk37
    mariahk37 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As a beekeeper I have to try to limit the honey especially since we always have a ton around the house.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Good news - honey is 21 calories a teaspoon, not 60. You looked at tablespoons.