Slimming down bulky calves??

eduffy6
eduffy6 Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey there! I have pretty big calves, 14 1/2" the last time I measured. I am looking for ways in which I can possibly streamline them a bit, I don't expect to lose 2" or anything but would love if they could less bulky. I have just started up running on the treadmill at a moderate pace for about 45 minutes, as I have read this can help to slim them and make the muscle slimmer/longer as opposed to bulky. I have been looking into yoga or pilates too 1 or 2 times a week, is one more beneficial than the other in lengthening the leg muscles?

TIA

Edited to add that I am 5'4 and 8 1/2 stone (120lb) so my calves are out of proportion to the rest of my body IMO :)

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Embrace them and stop calling them bulky.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Mine are 15 inches. Started at 17 but I have never had them smaller than 15. They are mostly muscle and I have learned to embrace them. Thankfully the boot industry has finally learned the value in makING wider calf boots!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    What do you think the proper proportion would be? 14 1/2 is too big but you don't think 12 1/2 is right either?? So you want 13 1/2? Confused!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    eduffy6 wrote: »
    Hey there! I have pretty big calves, 14 1/2" the last time I measured. I am looking for ways in which I can possibly streamline them a bit, I don't expect to lose 2" or anything but would love if they could less bulky. I have just started up running on the treadmill at a moderate pace for about 45 minutes, as I have read this can help to slim them and make the muscle slimmer/longer as opposed to bulky. I have been looking into yoga or pilates too 1 or 2 times a week, is one more beneficial than the other in lengthening the leg muscles?

TIA

Edited to add that I am 5'4 and 8 1/2 stone (120lb) so my calves are out of proportion to the rest of my body IMO :)

I used to have this problem. The calorie deficit for fat loss slowly over time will fix it. When we have muscles under the fat it's the fat that makes it "bulky" but it's hard to actually see that until it's gone. Keep going, you will see.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Oh calves, forever the Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side muscles.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Build your quads and hamstrings so your calves don't look so large?
    Worked for me, I guess.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    i was going to say that nothing surprised me more than the slenderization of my lower calves that came out of doing back squats, but a look at your avatar suggests that that's no the factor you're thinking about.

i'm going here more from the functionality viewpoint that the upper parts of my own calf muscles are far far too 'tight' for healthy rom, but with that said i'm wondering if targeted art and other forms of soft-tissue release might help you as well. it does seem like some of the more direct physical interventions have helped to free up more of the real estate in my own calf muscles.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    a look at your avatar suggests that that's no the factor you're thinking about.

sorry, i somehow thought someone else was the op :tongue: i guess what i said can still stand though.

• terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    I broke my tibial plateau and had to be none weight bearing for 6 weeks. My calf shrunk.. they looked like boxes with skin fat hanging from. Took we a week of walking and it was back.
    14.5 is not bulky anyway. At 130 I had 15 inch, try shopping g for winter boots with those!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I'm 5'4" and mine are 15 inches too. Maybe 14.5....They're big from genetics and carrying around my big old *kitten* my whole life.

The bros are jealous of them.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    OT: I must be old.. what is up with the *kitten* that keeps showing up in posts?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have always had big calves. Before I started exercising many years ago, they were large. When I began hiking they got stronger and bigger. When I started running they got stronger still, and didn't shrink at all. My thighs got smaller, but my calves are still large. I have never been able to buy boots. After talking about the amount of hiking I did, I was once told, "No wonder you have the legs of a powerlifter." I laughed. My legs do what I want them to do - propel me up mountains and over the finish line at races. I'm not going to stop exercising so I can shrink their size.