Do some people feel this way?

Options
Do some people feel that eating healthy is only something you do to lose weight?

Replies

• zyprexa17
    zyprexa17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, not really. I'm not actively trying to lose weight (have a few vanity pounds to lose) but if I have a few days where I eat "bad", its typically followed by my craving vegetables and the like. I think if you truly listen to your body it will naturally want healthy foods.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There are people who eat "healthy" and still gain weight.

I do think many people don't understand nutrition and think that you have to eat in a strict manner to lose weight.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I personally try to eat healthy because I think it fuels my body more efficiently.
    It's like filling up your car with premium instead of regular gasoline.
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat heathy to be healthy. Exercise to get fit.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't eat "healthy" as it triggers off a very specific thought pattern that leads to my ED (probably because of the "healthy food only to lose weight" mentality). I try to eat a balanced diet that is above all, normal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I did, and I secretly (even to myself) hated what I believed was healthy food, and that was why I always regained. Now I've redfined "healthy eating" to "enough of everything every day, but not too much over time", which means that I eat food I enjoy in appropriate amounts, don't fret, worry or exhaust myself, but love to feel comfortable and strong and energetic every day, so I continue eating well day after day after day.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a balanced diet - so nothing's off limits. Obviously moderation required with alcohol, cake and similar.
    Currently trying to lose up to a stone. The aim is that the way I eat now will work for me when I need to maintain.Just a bit more scope for treats.
    I've previously managed to lose weight - but haven't got the maintenance worked out.
    The difference with MFP compared to other approaches (for me) is I'm not buying any food that is specifically diet / low fat. My hope is that this will work long term.
    Fingers crossed !!
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Whatever healthy means anymore. I eat what I like as long as it fits within my calorie goal. I don't care how much saturated fat, cholesterol, gluten, sugar, HFCS, etc. it has, none of that matters for weight loss. I get regular blood work and I know my numbers are good.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Personally, no. I'm all too aware that I could get fat eating any kind of food, I just love food so much, so I focus very much on calorie counting to lose weight, and see healthy eating as a separate thing.

Having said that, I am aware that certain aspects of "healthy eating" - specifically, eating more fruit and veg and reducing portions of the calorie dense foods - can help me stick to my goals.

But your question is certainly a useful one, as I'm convinced a LOT of people do think of it that way, and too much emphasis on that link can cause weight loss frustration (due to overeating "healthy" foods) and also make people ignore good nutrition when not actively trying to "diet". It also offers a ready made excuse if you're in circumstances where you "can't eat healthy". Similar effect if someone overemphasises the role of exercise.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No. I like foods of all kinds and having a varied diet is good :) I couldn't just eat 'crap' all the time.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    No. I eat healthily to be healthy.

This^ all the way!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    imanibelle wrote: »
    Do some people feel that eating healthy is only something you do to lose weight?

I'm sure some people feel that way. I don't think that's a healthy way to think about food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    imanibelle wrote: »

Some might. Some people feel (believe, I think you mean) almost anything, including that we are all being controlled by space aliens.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on how you're defining "healthy."
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,973 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens.