Let's be honest

Options

Replies

• sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Kind of off topic but long ago I learned to put a little oil and salt in the bottom of the salad bowl, crushed garlic or mustard whisked in optional, toss the lettuce (make sure it's dry) very very well. All the leaves get a very light film of oil but none of it is gloppy. Then add in the acid (lemon, vinegar, etc) and toss--use much less than you think... it clings nicely to the coated leaves but doesn't pool anywhere. In my humble opinion itsthe best dressing, as it's full if flavor but not a lot of oil is used. I find most restaurants now use far too much to get the same flavor....
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I measure everything 98% of the time. I do sometimes legitimately forget to measure because I'm human but the vast majority of the time I measure. It makes a difference to calorie intake and my deficit is a small one so if I don't measure I can lose my deficit very easily.

If the calories in the dressing don't work for me I just eat the salad without. Not everyone dislikes the flavour of veggies. I measure my dressing if I use it.

Also if you don't feel like putting a minute or two extra effort into calorie counting accurately, then you do that. But don't be that person later who comes on the forum and whines about not successfully losing weight. Measuring and being accurate in your logging matters a lot more the closer you get to your goal.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yes, I measure everything (weigh solids and measure liquids). The only thing I do not weigh is if eating out or some routine packaged items that I have weighed enough times in the past to verify.

I have tried to "not log" some items but then I get lazy and lackadaisical with my logging and progress will stall. So I log as accurately as possible always.

When I get to my goal I will loosen my logging, but if I go outside the 5-lb window I will allow, back to the logging I'll go. I know it works.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I never even purchased a scale, and really only logged by labels and my best "guesstimates" on the weight. Once in a while I would use a measuring device to see just how much my drinking cups held, or maybe see just how (little!) a tablespoon of peanut butter or calorie dense stuff was.

But I was losing weight when I wanted before using this site, and did enough cooking that my weight estimates on foods were apparently close enough.

Do what works for you, stay mindful of calorie dense foods or foods you can readily eat too much of, and don't make it harder than it needs to be unless you want that exacting number.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There are some high calorie things I don't measure every single time, because I have measured them before and can eyeball them accurately. I check myself every once in a while to be sure my eyeballed amount hasn't crept up - the other day I did this with peanut butter, and my eyeballed 28g was exactly 28g.

Then there are some things I don't measure because I don't need to be that accurate to stay in a deficit, such as individual slices of bread. Package says 60 cal per slice? Good enough. If it's 80 cal or 50 I don't really need to know. With exercise I stay well under my deficit, and I'm losing at the speed I want to lose. Most vegetables are low enough in calories that I could eat twice the amount and it wouldn't make much difference. If my 1/4 cup dry measure oatmeal is a little off from the amount in grams, I honestly don't care. It's close enough, and will average out with other things over time. If one large peach is a certain weight, I am going to write down the other visually similar peaches from the same batch as the same weight, unless one is obviously smaller or larger.

Bodies don't digest everything perfectly, and something as small as fidgeting or not fidgeting can increase calorie burn. It might be nice in theory to know your CICO exactly. But you can't, as long as you are a living creature, so there's no point in driving yourself crazy over less than a hundred calories. Not weighing is fine if you can manage to eat close to the correct amount without weighing.

HOWEVER - and this is a big however - this isn't really the answer to the question that you raised. You seem to be asking if anyone out there really eats that small an amount of salad dressing, or eats a larger amount and then logs it honestly. You want to eat more, and then have it miraculously not count towards your calories in because reality isn't fair. And sorry, that doesn't work that way. If you eat more than two tbsp you will need to account for that in your tracking, or you will gain weight. Dressing is calorie dense and adds up. If you must have it, try reduced calorie versions or lighter options.

And personally to me, the idea of eating more than that seems excessive anyway. I eat only about 1/2 to 1 tbsp of any kind of oil or oily dressing on a salad, plus vinegar, lemon, or lime juice. The idea of spending fully a quarter of my daily calorie allotment on dressing seems insane to me. I could eat a big meal for the calories in 4 tbsp of olive oil.

By the way, ketchup is one thing I do measure, because I'm diabetic and ketchup is full of sugar. Doubling the amount of ketchup can make a substantial difference in my glucose levels, while it looks to the untrained eye like the same amount of food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nexus902 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Nexus902 wrote: »
    hey every one I want your honest thoughts about this. Am I the only one who doesn't measure their food. I mean really I'm not measuring out how much katchup I am putting ony eggs but it's not a table spoon. Just like salad dressing how do they expect salad to taist good with just 2 tablespoons of salad dressing. Honest opinions please.

If you're just not happy with a salad unless it is copiously dressed, try this recipe:

Homemade ranch dressing
    Adapted from "Joy of Cooking"

2/3 C fat free plain yogurt thinned with about 1/3 C water (if using Greek yogurt, use more water and less yogurt)
    2 T lime juice
    1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
    a few big pinches of salt
    1/4 t pepper
    1 T minced parsley
    1 T minced chives or 1 T very finely minced onion

Can you get the stuff in lactose free? I get sick with I have anything with milk in it.

Yes, there is lactose-free yogurt. However, I mentioned that recipe because I assumed you were using a full fat salad dressing like mine, which is 150 calories per 2 T. You've since said the salad dressing you are using already low cal, 20 calories (per 2 T?).

But to answer the question, here are some brands of lactose free yogurt. For this recipe you'd want plain/not flavored.

http://greekyogurtparadise.com/lactose-free-greek-yogurt/
  • Nexus902
    Nexus902 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Yes, there is lactose-free yogurt. However, I mentioned that recipe because I assumed you were using a full fat salad dressing like mine, which is 150 calories per 2 T. You've since said the salad dressing you are using already low cal, 20 calories (per 2 T?).

But to answer the question, here are some brands of lactose free yogurt. For this recipe you'd want plain/not flavored.

http://greekyogurtparadise.com/lactose-free-greek-yogurt/[/quote]

Thanks i have such a hard time finding lactose free in stores
  • Nexus902
    Nexus902 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Balsamic is 2 Cucumber which i have now is 1
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I measure most things and use my scale a lot. I don't measure mustard when I put it on a sandwich because I use very little and it doesn't have very many calories. I don't measure low calorie vegetables either, but I do measure starchy vegetables. I like measuring, so it's not much of a chore for me. I think as long as you've found what works for you, all is well. When something stops working, that's a good time to look for fixes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Apologies if someone else mentioned this, but I was getting really annoyed with trying to measure things like sauces and condiments and toppings until someone suggested this trick: take off the lid and put the container on your food scale before you start and zero out the scale. Then as you scoop out your shredded cheese/mayo/dressing, the scale will show in negative numbers the weight of what you've used. Much easier than fiddling with measuring spoons, and much more accurate than guesstimating.

Totally agree. Thanks for typing this out.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If I'm nibbling on raw veggies, I may not weigh them. I'll use the generic log entries (e.g. '6 carrot sticks; 1 celery rib'), I mean, if it's 10 calories or 14, it's not going to break me. I don't measure out mustard, soy sauce, or sriracha. Other stuff gets weighed when I'm at home, guesstimated when I'm not.
  • LindaCan2
    LindaCan2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh and/or measure everything and track every morsel that goes into my mouth. I recently went two months without tracking and I gained a few pounds, so yesterday was my new beginning and I'm tracking everything.
  • cindypb8757
    cindypb8757 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate everything but I like the bar scanner option; I use a lot of "store-bought" products right now. Still working on packing my lunch every day but I have a lot of weight to lose. Right now it's slow-but-sure weight loss.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Not only do I measure everything, I weigh what doesn't have a prepackaged measurement. I weigh the ham in my sandwiches, my veggies and meat before I cook them, etc. Some of us are lucky enough to not have to do that but I am not one of those people. If you are, fabulous! One less hassle for you!
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never used salad dressing until recently.

Spinich, rocket, cucumber, sweetcorn, tomato, carrot, rasins and beetroot is my usual go-to and it tastes good without any dressing at all. If I put salad dressing on then that's all I can taste!!

I weight almost everything. I don't weigh the amount of marmite I use, or the amount of brown sauce but I know if I stop losing, I need to start weighing these things because that's where I'll be wiping out my deficit.
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    As much as I love dressings ..they can add a lot of cals/fat to your diet . I usually do recommended serving sz and sometimes make it go further with salsa , fresh squeezed lemon or cottage cheese . But there are days when I cheat and have a giant salad covered in blue cheese dressing ..I'm human :wink:
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Some condiments are really low that you could get away with not logging it a few times. But some stuff like some salad dressings can be a ton of calories, especially the creamy dressings.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Nope, I try to weigh everything. That means condiments that go on my sandwiches in grams and alcohol or drinks in ounces. I know I won't lose unless I measure everything and know exactly how many calories are in it. Helps me to eyeball certain things when I'm not near my food scale.

Besides something like mustard may be super low in calories, but if I put as much mayo on a sandwich as I did mustard, it would add up pretty quickly.

Now, there are whole days where I won't log anything because I know it's a wash and/or I'm away for a weekend camping with no way to track the food I eat. I try not to sweat those days and get back on track when I come home/the next day. :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I only weigh calorie dense stuff like nuts, dried fruit or dry pasta. I measure any added sugars or fats (including dressings, mayo, and margarine), but everything else I eyeball. It seems to work for me. I don't have a problem with portion sizes generally, I just get a bit heavy handed with the fats and eat too many sweets if I'm not paying attention.