Emotional dependence on food

Options
aa9594
aa9594 Posts: 2 Member
Ever since I can remember I have been depending on food for comfort. However, I've been noticing that even when I'm completely full, I'll want to eat something. Now eating is just something to do when I'm bored or depressed (which seems to be all the time)
I'm tired of the unhealthy lifestyle. I have made the basic steps into losing weight, but I feel like I'm stuck. Any advice to push through?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    It could be a good idea to seek professional help with your views on food. They can usually find ways that will work for you to re-channel your feelings or boredom into something productive.
  • annettedriver62
    annettedriver62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also put a lot of weight on through emotional eating and have just joined mfp. I have just started knitting when sitting at night with the tv on and found this a great distraction, maybe you can find something to work on that will distract you.

• aa9594
    aa9594 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both !
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Knitting is great. Or anything that keeps your fingers moving. It is very easy to eat while watching a movie or reading a book, but with anything you cannot constantly put down easily it is so much better. When I feel like overeating I take care to do something where I just am unable to do so.
  • LiamWSwann
    LiamWSwann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'd also like some advice on this. I eat for both comfort and boredom. I work at a computer all-day too and constantly feel the need to have a snack beside me. I think Skymningen is right - watching a movie/reading just fuels my desire to have something; like they're one-in-the-same. Watching a movie without a snack? madness!
  • HealthyAshes88888
    HealthyAshes88888 Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've dealt with emotional eating all of my life also. I know how frustrating it is! Usually when I start out (Been on and off the wagon multiple times) I keep a bottle of water with me at all times and set specific times to eat. Anytime I feel urges to snack I sip at the water. Usually after a week my body craves the water between meals. I hope this helps! Good luck to you on your journey!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm bored I put on my shoes and go for a 15 to 30 minute walk. By the time I'm back, I'm not into the mindless snacks. And hobbies help. Now's a good time of year to put mosaic tiles on flower pots. Or quilt a small project. Or knit. Or, did I mention, walking? Be sure to drink some water to help stave off the munchies.
  • KimsHealthJourney
    KimsHealthJourney Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    aa9594 wrote: »
    Ever since I can remember I have been depending on food for comfort. However, I've been noticing that even when I'm completely full, I'll want to eat something. Now eating is just something to do when I'm bored or depressed (which seems to be all the time)
    I'm tired of the unhealthy lifestyle. I have made the basic steps into losing weight, but I feel like I'm stuck. Any advice to push through?

I also struggle with emotional eating. Not only that but I just really enjoy food. If you are going to snack, snack on things that won't kill you at the end of the day.... stuff like cucumbers or celery which are so few calories and not a bunch of the other things.

For me, if I have chocolate in the house (my weaknesses lately are caramel m&m's, blue corn chips, brownie's with hot fudge in them), when i sit down at night to relax I want to munch. So I'm going to try harder to either drink more water (which I try doing during the day so I'm not up every hour to relieve my bladder) and I'm going to stop buying those darn m&m's that nobody but me is putting into my mouth!!

Anyways... are you depressed because of your weight or other reasons? Do you need someone to talk to? For me, all of my heaviest weight times have evolved around divorce # 1 and # 2 (#2 also took place around the same time of my losing my job and also my 45 year old brother who was found dead... which then lead to my heaviest weight of my lifetime with that depression which was beyond devastating to me).

Life happens. We all deal differently. Don't beat yourself up. Just try to surround yourself with more positives than negatives and do what you can to alleviate some of the stresses that you are able to. Perhaps talking to a professional or some good friends about the depression as untreated depression is very dangerous.

I'm a good listener. I reply to emails usually within a day depending on what is going on in my world. I work full-time but do my best to help others in need.

Try to focus on the positives. Make a list of 200 things you are greatful for. Pray if you are a believer. They say if you focus on the positives in life rather than the negatives, it helps a lot.

Hang in there and good luck!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    aa9594 wrote: »
    Habitual behavior. Good thing is it can be change if one is WILLING and CONSISTENT with changing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png