Help with weight loss

Options
I really want to start getting in to shape and I enjoy swimming not a massive fan of weights what could I do to get into shape using swimming

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Swim as often as possible. That's what I'm up to right now since I also struggle with weight training
  • connorbambam98
    connorbambam98 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Swim as often as possible. That's what I'm up to right now since I also struggle with weight training

How long have you swam for and have you lost any weight from it if you don't mind me asking, I didn't know if certain ways or routines for swimming would be better and good luck with the swimming
  • connorbambam98
    Options
    It's not that I struggle with weight training I just don't enjoy it, it bores me and I know I would end up not sticking to it if I don't enjoy it
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options

How long have you swam for and have you lost any weight from it if you don't mind me asking, I didn't know if certain ways or routines for swimming would be better and good luck with the swimming

When I go swimming it's for no less than an hour a day up to 80-90 minutes. It's a mix between moderate lap swimming and leisurely. If I remember to stay within my calorie range, I'll lose a pound a week. Other days I don't go swimming, I either go to the gym or rest.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    You will get a swimmers body if you swim.
    If getting into shape means having a swimmers body then that is all you need.
    It is good cardio and will help towards muscle retention as you lose.

To strengthen your muscles while swimming you will alway have to be challenging them- varied strokes, faster times, etc. It will eventually become a game of diminished returns though with little further in the way of muscle development.

You may not like standard weight lifting, but you could look for other ways to strengthen and retain your muscles while losing.

Cheers, h.
  • connorbambam98
    Options

To strengthen your muscles while swimming you will alway have to be challenging them- varied strokes, faster times, etc. It will eventually become a game of diminished returns though with little further in the way of muscle development.

You may not like standard weight lifting, but you could look for other ways to strengthen and retain your muscles while losing.

Cheers, h.

Cheers, h.

Yeah that what I mean lose weight and tone up I'm not bothered about being really big in muscle and what sort of other things would you recommend for strengthen muscles? Just lifting weights at a gym is boring to me personally and I don't enjoy it, thank you
  • connorbambam98
    Options

When I go swimming it's for no less than an hour a day up to 80-90 minutes. It's a mix between moderate lap swimming and leisurely. If I remember to stay within my calorie range, I'll lose a pound a week. Other days I don't go swimming, I either go to the gym or rest.

oh that's good, I love swimming but haven't exercised properly in a long time so need to get into it, How long have you been swimming for? And have you noticed a big difference? Thank you
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Cheers, h.

Yeah that what I mean lose weight and tone up I'm not bothered about being really big in muscle and what sort of other things would you recommend for strengthen muscles? Just lifting weights at a gym is boring to me personally and I don't enjoy it, thank you

Eating at a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight, exercise (including swimming) is just the icing on the cake (and benenficial for your health also.) So swimming can be a great way to burn some more calories, but if you're eating more than your body needs, swimming may still not be enough to make a difference. Have you input your stats into MFP and found out a calorie goal? If so and if you stick to that calorie goal, adding swimming will help you reach your goal even faster.