How much weight do you need to lose for it to be noticeable?

Options
So I have been on a diet for a month now using a caloric deficit method. I eat around 1500 calories a day. I haven't exercised at all but crazily enough I have lost 8 pounds from 192 pounds to 184 pounds. I am just wondering how much weight I need to lose in total before I see a difference in my body.

Replies

• Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    People didn't start noticing until 18 pounds for me, that is about the time clothes started to just feel a bit more baggy. I still fit in the same size but barely, that's when people start to notice, but it could be different for others. Also I had a baby 9 months ago, so it may be more noticeable for me as many people saw me pregnant and then are just seeing me for first time. I had a friend that took 30 pounds and another that took 10 for people to notice....just depends on your build too. What's important is how you feel. Congrats on weight loss!!
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I lost about 21 pounds that people started noticing it and a little bit more until I started noticing it as well. I had went down a dress size, lost weight on my boobs and my thighs had gotten a bit smaller. Everyone is different though. Some may notice it after 7, some may notice it about 17. It all depends on you and your build. I'm quite broadly built so it will take some time before I would notice any real difference especially with my wide hips and shoulders. It all depends on your body and how your body works. Well done on losing weight!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! It took me about 12 pounds for me to notice a difference, about 15 down for my parents to notice. I am kicking myself for not taking a "before" picture of my body so I could compare where I started with where I am now. I did take measurements, and I've lost an inch off my waist.

You don't need to exercise to lose weight if you're in a calorie deficit. But it doesn't hurt to go outside for a 30 minute walk!
  • Jeffagner2
    Jeffagner2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Definitely take pictures. Lots of pictures. You will swear you don't look any different until you compare pictures. As far as everyone else, there is definitely an "ah ha" moment when suddenly everyone notices the changes. Be prepared with a sincere thanks. Don't dismiss or minimize their compliments. You earned them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on how accurate you observation and self-perception are. Some people can't see a 25 lb change. After losing 150, I can now detect 1-2 lbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I didn't see it in the mirror for 30 pounds or so. My mother noticed at around 15 pounds.

I wore "fat" jeans gardening for a long time because they definitely reinforced that I had lost weight. I tossed them in a move because they wore out completely, but kept another pair of jeans for Before jeans.

I took Before pictures about 3 months in.

Measurements are good too. I'm a woman, and my lying eyes keep telling me my biceps are bigger, but when I look at previous and current measurements I see in fact they are smaller.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    People might notice but not say anything.

You are doing this for your benifit, to look better to you and to feel better yourself.

Don't worry about other people validating your progress, as long as you are happy with it that is all that matters.
  • brentleyann1
    brentleyann1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this post. I need to take a before picture. :#

I will say I've lost 3 lbs this week and my stomach feels flatter but it's because I'm not eating junk causing me to bloat. I'm sure next week won't be as dramatic.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    You have had some great comments and advice above, so I will try not to repeat too much of it. But I agree about photos being helpful. I don't know how tall you are or your goal weight, but for me I know it was more noticeable the lower I went in weight.

This might sound nuts but it also seems to go in waves. Waves of noticing changes in your appearance, and waves of getting a lot of comments from others about the changes. I've lost over 130 lb total, and I really noticed this a lot. For example, in going from size 24/26 down to current 10-12 in most jeans/clothes, I totally skipped over 14 and pretty much 16 as well. Although my weight loss was very steady, I still wore 18 for a very long time during my losing process, and then when I tried on 14 and 16, I already needed a 12. Lost a ton more weight and still wear 10 and 12. It will really vary by person! So many factors...