Low carb flu

Options
Just started yesterday and I feel awful. I've been trying to drink a lot of water but now I feel a little nauseated. Would more day help? Anything palatable? I really would like to succeed this time.

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    When starting a keto diet it is usually suggested to increase sodium. How much sodium are you consuming?
  • BeastofBodmin
    BeastofBodmin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Drinking Bouillon will help a lot.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Pickles and drinking pickle juice will help with those electrolytes.
  • theresejesu
    theresejesu Posts: 120 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Maribullah wrote: »
    Just started yesterday and I feel awful. I've been trying to drink a lot of water but now I feel a little nauseated. Would more day help? Anything palatable? I really would like to succeed this time.

You need electrolytes, not just water, and especially salt.

I just went through this a week ago, and I just kept drinking and eating salt out of my hand. I used one of the specialty salts as they have added minerals, such as Himalayan salt or black lava salt (which is whatbi had on hand).

The worse it was for me was a constant headache for 2 days with harsh ringing in my ears due to increase in my idiopathic intracranial hypertension.

• Maribullah
    Maribullah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Does anyone limit protein and increase fat at first?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Maribullah wrote: »
    Thank you. Does anyone limit protein and increase fat at first?

I've found that increasing fat at first helped make the transition faster, but didn't have to take efforts to intentionally limit protein. Instead, I just stuck to higher fat meats - sausage, higher fat hamburger, bacon, etc. and less fish, chicken, and eggs at first.

Then after becoming fat adapted, I cut back fat and kept protein. The idea is to continue using fat primarily for energy, but decreasing dietary fat intake so that the fat I burn comes from body fat instead of dietary fat.
  • ssl0905
    ssl0905 Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Definitely up the electrolytes. .....try a propel or powerade zero