I've made a bad mistake and I'm paying hard

Options
I've made a terrible error.

I've been looking for ways to get more veg in my life, and one way I came up with was to buy a big bag of spinach, wilt it, and purée it, then just swallow down a dose of veg in a few easy spoonfuls. Simple, effective.

Yesterday the idea came to me that maybe, since spinach is pretty mild tasting, I could have my daily serve with some yoghurt and a few blueberries. Tried it: winner!

So today I had a terrible case of the snackies. Couldn't stop. so I thought 'I'll have a proper bowl full of something good for me, rather than just picking at things. So, had yoghurt, few blueberries, 60g spinach purée. It was good, but didn't hit the spot, so, like a fool, I had another bowl.

Now, a few hours on, I am filled with regret. I'm blaming the massive dose of spinach. My stomach is churning and I've had a few rounds of the excessive drooling that comes before a puke. I feel like I'd feel better if I threw up, my body is clearly unhappy with what I've put in, but I don't spew, like, ever, so I'm stuck here, feeling 100% sorry for myself!

And sharing is caring, so now you're in on my misery!

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I once participated in a row over 'clean-eating' with someone on this very forum about what would happen if someone ate loads of spinach in one day. One of my primary arguments for favouring any food, including fast food, over massive bowls of spinach was my reasoning that massive bowls of spinach would lead to indigestion.

I can't imagine that helps you now, but from an armchair scientist's point of view, it's interesting to encounter evidence that supports my position!

• HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    P.S. My two methods for indigestion (bar painkillers) are a really hot bath or planking, with your elbows (not straight arms). There's something about planking that sometimes gets things moving when needed.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Yikes hope you feel better
    Nothing I love more than a nice spinach salad or adding it cooked to something savoury. Spinach is so rich in iron and I suspect fibre. Lesson learned I guess
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I once participated in a row over 'clean-eating' with someone on this very forum about what would happen if someone ate loads of spinach in one day. One of my primary arguments for favouring any food, including fast food, over massive bowls of spinach was my reasoning that massive bowls of spinach would lead to indigestion.

I can't imagine that helps you now, but from an armchair scientist's point of view, it's interesting to encounter evidence that supports my position!

Well, as a human guinea pig, I can report that it was not indigestion, it was flat-out nausea.

no pain, no burn, just sick to the very pit of my stomach!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'll bet that looked real good coming back up! :s LOL.

Too much of a good thing is too much. ;)
  • ztaylor205
    ztaylor205 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    MissSusieQ wrote: »
    I feel like I'd feel better if I threw up, my body is clearly unhappy with what I've put in, but I don't spew, like, ever, so I'm stuck here, feeling 100% sorry for myself!

If you do throw up, how do you log that?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options

Well, as a human guinea pig, I can report that it was not indigestion, it was flat-out nausea.

How are you now?
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,086 Member
    Options
    Sounds awful!
    I think I'd rather be sick for about 30 secs than feel on the verge of throwing up for hours!

Get it up and out! It may be gross but it's only your bodies natural way of expelling something it's not happy with!
  • ciclamino1
    ciclamino1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ztaylor205 wrote: »
    I feel like I'd feel better if I threw up, my body is clearly unhappy with what I've put in, but I don't spew, like, ever, so I'm stuck here, feeling 100% sorry for myself!

If you do throw up, how do you log that?

Probably the only example of negative calories known to mankind. :)

Gotta be some calories involved in throwing up, takes effort to heave. I'll show myself out now :) OP, hope you're feeling better now. I hate feeling nauseous.
  • MissSusieQ
    Options
    You purée the spinach and mix it with the yogurt? I haven't thought of that but I have added it to smoothies. I'll have to try it. In a less barf inducing amount haha

Yup, I think it's pretty nice. Good Greek yoghurt though, not that sweet 'plain' yoghurt that's actually vanilla flavoured.

I wilt the spinach, then purée it with just the littlest bit of water (like maybe 1 tbsp) to get a purée that's thick enough to hold its shape.

The only thing is that some batches of spinach are a little bitter, but if so I just add 1/2 tsp or so of fake maple syrup to balance it out
  • MissSusieQ
    Options
    But remember @threecheers20, it shrinks down! what would look like a big salad when raw blends down to only a couple of tablespoons!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for what you went through and all the discomfort. Hope you're feeling better. I like your sense of humor so I just wanted to add that your story along with your avatar made me laugh!