Female question re: long runs

Options
Just curious what most women use for protection on long runs during their cycle? Tonight will be my first long run on my cycle (almost 18km), and I don't know if I'd be better off using a pad or a diva cup.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I just bought some thinx undies (just look them up). Good as a backup to tampon or diva if you prefer. More comfy. They are pricey though.

They make a running shorts version.

I can't imagine feeling like a long run on my period but kudos to you if you do!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I use a tampon and a pad as backup. Never tried a Diva Cup.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I just bought some thinx undies (just look them up). Good as a backup to tampon or diva if you prefer. More comfy. They are pricey though.

They make a running shorts version.

I can't imagine feeling like a long run on my period but kudos to you if you do!

I've seen them on Facebook! Maybe I will try them out soon! I just bought a new vacuum, so I have to wait a bit before anymore splurges....
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    I use a tampon and dark running tights--so I'd try your divacup alone. I think a pad would chafe like crazy.

Yes I was thinking a pad might not be the greatest idea... especially because it's raining here today too
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How are you up to running 18 km and you've never had to deal with this before? Just didn't run that week? Just puzzled!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How are you up to running 18 km and you've never had to deal with this before? Just didn't run that week? Just puzzled!

I was thinking the same. But figured maybe a super irregular cycle or maybe on BC where you only get it once a year or something?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    And to answer the question-I would think anything (maybe even nothing) would be better than a pad. That sounds dreadful.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I just started the Non-Runners Marathon Trainer training plan. I've run before, but only like 5-8k, so I started the plan on week 3 and now I'm on week 6, so I'm three weeks in since I started running longer distances once a week. This will be the longest run I've ever had!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Divacup
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Diva Cup all the way, best invention for female runners!!
  • jlavdl86
    jlavdl86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yep diva cup..best thing ever
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Diva cup
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Very happy you asked this question, I haven't got to that point but was wondering the same thing!
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I personally have only used a tampon, and if it's a really heavy point in your cycle a pad too, even tho I know they can bother some during exercise.
    From what I've heard a diva cup would be a good option. I've never used one so I don't have any experience.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just use a tampon, never had an issue with long runs - but then my max is 12 miles, and i never have my period on the weekend anyway.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Never had any issues with my Mooncup (similar to Diva Cup).
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I've only ever used tampons, and over the years I've frequently run 12-13+ miles while it's TOM. Never really had any issues.

I've also never used anything like a diva cup, so I have no feedback on that one.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't know about long runs, but i've used a cup for long hikes...never had any issues. Just the thought of using a pad on a run is like nails on blackboard though. (Mind, I hate pads under all circumstances.)
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I ended up cutting my run a little short (13.5km instead). The diva cup held up alright. I was worried it would get too heavy/irritate, but it held up just fine :)
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Oh diva cup all the way! Plus pad/thinx backup. I also would sometimes just cut my period runs slightly short due to lack of energy and fear of getting stuck without hygiene means, then get back into full strength the following week.