Frustrated Anew

Options
I have weighed and measured tonight and have had no success since June 16th. This is so disappointing. Dieting and exercising are part of my daily life, and I have gone nowhere. Am I not counting my calories right? I am running or walking every morning except Sunday. What am I doing wrong?

Excuse me. I have had a very frustrating day, and this just capped it off. Thanks.

Replies

• dlamorta
    dlamorta Posts: 1
    Options
    Try a new exercise routine. You have to keep your body guessing. It's also easy to get stuck in a rut eating a lot of the same foods. Shake things up a bit and see what happens next month. Good luck and stick with it!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too little. If you are exercising, you need to be eating your calories back. Also, watch your sodium & if you have to go over (2400-2500mg per day), drink LOTS of water - divide your weight in half and drink that much water in OUNCES. Also, clean calories. You could eat 1200 calories of Big Macs or 1200 calories of lean meat, veggies, fruits, healthy fats & complex carbs. Which way do you think you'll be better off going?
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    First, take a deep breath and relax. This isn't a race, it's a marathon. Plateaus are never easy to deal with nor are they always easy to break through. Can you open up your diary so we can see what you're eating?

It could be any number of things...

- You could be not getting enough calories.
    - You could be getting too much exercise.
    - You could be eating too much sodium.
    - You could be not drinking enough water.

Try switching up your exercise routine. Since you seem to do all cardio, add some strength training in.
    Zig zag your calories, so you get less some days and more others.
    Are you eating the same foods pretty much all the time? Try changing up your menu a bit!

Good luck! Keep your chin up and keep working at it. You CAN and WILL break through! :)
  • CelenaOlson
    Options
    Cut your fructose intake.
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    Sounds likeyou hit a plateu my friend! revamp your exercise and food choices. REALLY examine what you're eating. Granted, you may be eating UNDER you calories limit, but are you eating whole, natural, mostly non-processed foods? Convenience foods may be "low fat" and "low calorie" but nutrionally they do nothing for you and you're hungry for more of the same crap instantly. When you walk, are you putting effort into (swinging arms, walking straight with shoulders back, stomach pulled in and breathing properly?) or are you just...walking? Are you strength training? Building strong lean muscles helps you have a higher BMR (resting calorie burn). I recommend you push yourself as hard as you can during your exercises, try making yourself break a sweat, drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water every day and like I said, review your food choices more closely. :D
  • jon_brady
    jon_brady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    read this thread onpage 2 there is a formula for figuring out your calories http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/301205-who-would-have-thought-it-would-work
  • drh1111
    drh1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. Your encouragement and advice is very helpful.
  • drh1111
    drh1111 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    melissa_w, I don't know how to open up my diary. I have done some research since posting earlier. During this weekend I am going to review my eating habits and try to begin planning. My calorie intake goal may be a little off, so I am going to try to come up with an accurate BMR. This is difficult because several different sites come up with significantly different numbers (as much as 700 calories different). It is important with everything to use a reliable site, so that is another challenge.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the encouragement and advice.