Whole foods

Options
mfpjohn68
mfpjohn68 Posts: 405 Member
I'm thinking about a whole foods diet (no meat,etc)
Anyone have experience and or advice?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have experience. I like to eat. I have eaten a lot of different foods. I have tried excluding foods at random. Didn't work well. What is a whole foods diet, in particular why would it exclude meat? Why would you want to try such a diet?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I like whole pizzas.

Or a whole steak.

Or whole plates of food.

Or whole pieces of fruit rather than chopped ones.

Or whole burgers... Who wants to share one of those?

Thats my experience. Advice? Eat what you like to fit your calorie goal. Eat nutrient dense foods most of the time but don't demonise other foods and don't think it's necessary to permanently exclude anything unless you have a medical reason to do so.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I now eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet but I continue to eat fish 4-5 times a week because of the health benefits. I base my days around 800g+ of veggies and fruit.

However, I control my weight completely by my calorie intake and my weight management plan has nothing to do with what kinds of foods I eat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whole foods plant based, you mean? Most people consider meat to be a whole food, and of course eggs (another animal product).

I tend to eat a mostly whole foods diet and I've experimented with 100% plant based, but it's not for me. I think it's best for those with ethical commitments or strong health reasons, but I'm sure some just like eating that way. Try it if you are interested.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about the store, 'Whole Paycheck' :)

I've cut back my meat but could never go vegetarian, what's your motivation to cut completely?
  • lallybc
    lallybc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My idea of 'whole foods' is minimal processed. Less packaging etc . Eat the fruit - don't drink just the juice. Cook more at home and less meals out. Control what is going in you ---
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Google Whole Foods Plant Based Diet, or search for WFPB. Basics - Loading up on Veggies, Grains, Fruits, and trending towards minimal processing. Shopping the perimeters of the grocery, especially the produce section, and avoiding much of the interior aisles. There are quite a few persons on here that follow that or similar diets and for varying reasons.
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Whole foods plant based, you mean? Most people consider meat to be a whole food, and of course eggs (another animal product).

I tend to eat a mostly whole foods diet and I've experimented with 100% plant based, but it's not for me. I think it's best for those with ethical commitments or strong health reasons, but I'm sure some just like eating that way. Try it if you are interested.

I am one that just like eating that way. I have only been doing it for about 3 weeks. I have always loved healthy foods but like many of us started eating more unhealthy things than healthy. I decided to do this because I wanted to force myself to eat better. I miss meat sometimes but I like challenging myself with different mixes. It's fun. And I also feel good about myself because of how I eat. I have no health problems but I just want to eat better.

So like lemurcat said, try it. See how it goes. Good luck.