Considering a move to Pennsylvania - suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• thunt1990
    thunt1990 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have family in york/lancaster/harrisburg areas. It's so beautiful there! Great suburbs in each town
  • jersey0725
    jersey0725 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hershey! I used to live there. It's 10 minutes away from Harrisburg. And it's very safe too! Plus, the school district is great! I live in Hummelstown now, it's also very close to Harrisburg. And a lot of nice houses, shares the same schools as Hershey.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi All, anyone know of any desirable neighborhoods/suburbs/communities anywhere in PA, suburban enough to raise a family but also close to a big city or town? Any suggestions or thoughts about PA would be much appreciated... Thanks :)

Pittsburgh, all the way. No McKees Rocks as was mentioned above. Sorry if that's personally offensive. But trust me.

Not offensive to me! I live in McKeesport! LOL I was trying to think of places and it popped into my head. Funny, I've lived here most of my life and drew a blank!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Im not near a HUGH city, but I do like where we live in Central PA....cost of living is reasonable. Some of it also depends on what you do for a living.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I moved from Jersey to Chester County, PA. I live in the West Chester area, which has a great school district. Valley Forge Park is close by and has a great loop for walking or biking. There's a ton of great shopping and great restaurants around. So, you don't have to go into the city if you don't want to. The King of Prussia Mall is huge!! Philly is about 45 minutes to an hour drive... or you can take the train to avoid getting stuck in traffic. It has a great mix of farm land and suburb. A few towns in the area to avoid are Chester and Coatesville.

Wilmington, DE is also 30-45 minutes away. I commute there for work and take advantage of tax free shopping.

And it's already been mentioned, but should be repeated. NYC isn't too far and it's close to MD, DE, and NJ beaches. Also, Baltimore isn't too long of a drive away either. You could definitely do some nice weekend trips.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Another Pittsburgh'er here. I live near the airport and love it here. Although, there are a few things I don't like (no downtown night life but I'm kinda beyond that age since I'm married and have 3 sons). I will say though we have great neighborhoods, and the activities are endless if you have kids - childrens museum, walking trails, great "free" activities (libraries, etc.), a great zoo, amusement park, and Presque Isle State Park is about a 2 hour drive from where I live. We take our kids to the "beach" a couple times in the summer. They don't know the difference between the Atlantic and Lake Erie and they love it. It's affordable to live here, too. A house you'd get here for 300K you'd easily pay near 750K to a million in CA. I don't think we'll ever leave. Lots of people do, but we won't.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Got to agree about Mckees Rocks. We lived in Stowe (part of MCR) the first 2.5 years we were married and while it was decent and the neighbors were nice, a lot of questionable folks moved in by the time we bought our house in a nicer suburb. I used to take walks with my sons past the high school and one time a kid said to me "Who the baby daddy". Yeah, not the kind of neighborhood I want my kids growing up in. Very tasteless people, and many lowlives overpopulate the area.
    Hi All, anyone know of any desirable neighborhoods/suburbs/communities anywhere in PA, suburban enough to raise a family but also close to a big city or town? Any suggestions or thoughts about PA would be much appreciated... Thanks :)

Pittsburgh, all the way. No McKees Rocks as was mentioned above. Sorry if that's personally offensive. But trust me.

Good places around Pittsburgh to raise a family: (South) Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, Jefferson Hills, Upper St. Clair, (North) Sewickley, Allison Park, Fox Chapel, Hampton, (East) Murrysville. All of these are in Allegheny County except Murrysville, which is just over the line into Westmoreland. All within a 1/2 hour of Pittsburgh, which beat out Honolulu for the most livable city this year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11053/1127102-53.stm

LOL. I'm like a commercial for the City of Pittsburgh. But I'm good with that! :)

Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Wilkes Barre / Scranton. The job situation is abysmal, the politicians even MORE crooked than average, and the roads are horrendous.

The Poconos are lovely, if you can work in NYC or NJ.

I do love the Lancaster area. :heart:
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It truly depends on what you're looking for in the "close" confines... I'm in York and though I'm not IN the city, I'm close enough to Harrisburg, Baltimore and Washington DC for day trips any time.

I'm 20 minutes from Lancaster, 25 minutes from Harrisburg, 40 minutes from Hershey Park, 60 minutes from Baltimore and 90 minutes from Washington and about 2 hours from Philly -- all while living in a quiet, rural area. (again, not IN the city).

I'm sure Pittsburgh area is beautiful too, I've just never been there.

I was born and raised in NJ so eastern PA (actually this is called South Central PA) was more familiar for me.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    My fiance and I are plannin on moving to Ohio withn the next 2 years :) Time to escape the Az desert!
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bradford County, PA is part of the natural gas/marcellus shale boom. It's quite rural but jobs are very plentiful right now!!
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    Harrisburg area - across the river on the "West Shore". I'm in Mechanicsburg but would also suggest Camp Hill or farther south Carlisle. If you need a good Central PA realtor let me know, have a few friends to recommend.

(Went to school at West Chester University and can also agree that the West Chester, Exton, Valley Forge area is nice. )
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Gladwyne is lovely (Philly mainline suburb); my husband's brother and family live there. However, I wouldn't leave Southern California for anything.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I are plannin on moving to Ohio withn the next 2 years :) Time to escape the Az desert!

Let me know if you're in the market for a house in Shaker Heights . . .
  • xx0verthestarsxx
    Options
    Hello! My boyfriend lives in Malvern, PA and it's really nice there. It's very quaint and there's a lot of nature scenery, but it's about 30 minutes outside of Philadelphia depending on traffic, maybe an hour and a half - two hours outside of NYC, and probably about the same for Atlantic City. I would suggest it.