Exercise.....How Often and how much.

Options
Hi everyone,

I have begun my weight loss journey a little over a month ago. I never was one that enjoyed too many sports as I was an Artsy type person! But as I started to exercise (at first in 5 to 10 minute intervals several times a day), I realized that I was starting to become a workout junkie. I walked on my coffee breaks and just longed to get out in the fresh air.

I still am continuing my coffee break walks as I work in the dungeon (the basement) but I have added 15 to 20 minutes on my elliptical plus I am using resistence bands to help me work on the targeted areas. My job consists of both sitting and walking (of which can raise my heart rate according to how busy we are as I am in the medical field).

My question is, is there a happy medium? I am trying my hardest to keep the exercise routine going every day. But I am told that I should give my body a rest and not workout every day.....only so many times a week. How many rest days in a week do you recommend? And on a rest day, is there still a certain amount of activity that one should do as a minimum (eg. like walking).

I just got back from family camp with our church and I still kept up a minimum of 40 minutes of walking a day. Although my exercise activity was lower due to the rigid two worship services a day there, I still made myself get up every morning for that walk with my Pastor's wife. Some days when we saw fresh bear prints and we definitely walked a little faster than others but overall my pace was a slight bit lower. And since, there was no internet access, I was unable to log my calories or exercise......I am pretty sure I ate in the range of 1500 to 2000 daily when my average is 1200 to 1300. I did gain about 4 lbs from that week but lost overnight when I resumed my normal workout activity.

I have been terrified up to this point to take that break that was recommended. I feel addicted to working out. But after that week away, I realize I will not gain too much as long as I watch my intake.

If you have advice on this, I would really appreciate some input. And if you can point me to any literature to help me out, that would be terrific.

Shannon

Replies

• RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do 2-hour workouts 4 days a week - usually about 90 minutes cardio, some weights, ab work and stretches. Because each one is a big workout, I find that trying to do 3 days in a row is not viable as I have no strength/energy for the 3rd day.

As you seem to be working at a lower intensity and shorter time periods, maybe just 1 rest day a week? I would suggest it be a work day so you still have some general activity level as don't end up filling the time with food like I'm inclined to do!
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    Lift heavy things 3 days a week for 30-45 mins - total body workouts.
    Inbetween do some sprints for cardio and ALWAYS take 1-2 days OFF a week. Go hiking / biking or something.
    It all depends on your goals of course - but if your an amateur looking to lose weight and gain muscle this always works well.
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    As a fitness instructor, my thoughts on this is pretty easy....Your really only doing cardio things...walking or elliptical, no biggie honestly. Now the down side, your body is going to be used to it, and wont change the way you might want. When you start on the elliptical, your body is used to it, or basically *trained* to do it the same way for the same amount of time...your not pushing it enough with a change in exercise. Also, I listen to Jillian Micheal's podcasts, and she says the same thing, you have to confuse the body to make it work with you. She also says, quite forcefully, spot training is pointless... you either work it all or nothing. Now there are parts on our body where fat cells will sit and we dont have any choice in that...You cant spot fix it. You already do the cardio part, incorporate muscle training as well. Squats, Lunges, chest, bi & triceps, shoulders, back & abs.. All those spots can be toned very easily in time and will confuse your body enough where you might see the results your looking for. When you get into strength training (tearing muscles) then you should take a break every other day or change it up every day (cardio & strength one day, just cardio OR strength the next) As for *intervals*, that only works if your doing multiple sets back to back...The purpose of strength training it to bring the muscle being worked to failure..Do enough squats, your legs shake when you try to walk...That's muscle failure..It passes but is AWESOME for legs and butt!!!
    Thats my take...Hope I helped a little.. If you are sticking with the *spot work with the band* Give yourself a day in between if your only working on one or 2 areas..Its still a muscle tear depending on how far your pushing yourself with the bands.
  • whispiri
    whispiri Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much......this has all been a great help. I am now starting to add the squats, lunges, etc. as I am finding that cardio is not cracking it anymore. My intention is to add more as I go. My body responded real well to adding some of these with the resistence bands with the exercises. You have all provided a real good guide to go by. I appreciate the help.

Shannon
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I try to work out 6 days a week. Some weeks I only work out 4. I alternate cardio days with strength training days. I exercise an average of 30 minutes each time and make sure I push myself for those 30 minutes.