Life in numbers

Options
leasy1
leasy1 Posts: 172 Member
edited July 2017 in Chit-Chat
I was thinking, probably over thinking, but I was wondering when numbers became so important. The number on the scale, how many calories, how many times we go to the gym, how much time we spend on a piece of equipment, how many reps and so on....
It got me thinking to a few years ago when I separated from my husband and I decided to get healthy. I threw away my scales, I knew to become healthy to eat health food and move more, not rocket science. I could tell by my clothes I was losing weight they were getting bigger and bigger, I was happy, I was confident and I liked what I saw staring back at me in the mirror, not to mention the fact I was being complimented on the weightloss. Fast forward 2 years when I become pregnant I was weighed at the Dr's, I didn't understand kgs but curiosity got the better of me and i converted it, I was gutted, I didn't like the number staring at me. I instantly was not happy nor feeling very confident anymore all because of a number. It sounds so silly but I think that what has been programmed in me.
I have been on a numbers game ever since and I was wondering do we actually need to live by these numbers to become healthy? I know it can be a guide to push you into making right decisions but if we know what's healthy and what's not do we need these numbers to determine how we feel for example if you see you have lost weight on the scale it makes you happy or see it says it's gone up making you feel upset. I mean if you have gained muscle, water retention, womans time of the month surely the scales will show the number is higher.
I would really like to know people's opinion on this whether I am just over thinking and you do actually need these numbers in your life to get healthy and achieve happiness in yourself

Replies

• BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Unless you're an athlete and/or to manage specific dietary medical issue(s), we don't need the #s; to determine what's healthy but instead HOW MUCH's healthy! If you were to consume, over your maintenance calories; by eating chicken breasts without the skin, etc., instead of a cake; you still won't be healthy!
  • leasy1
    Options
    Unless you're an athlete and/or to manage specific dietary medical issue(s), we don't need the #s; to determine what's healthy but instead HOW MUCH's healthy! If you were to consume, over your maintenance calories; by eating chicken breasts without the skin, etc., instead of a cake; you still won't be healthy!

No i agree you wouldn't be healthy if you ate a large amount of food whether healthy or not and I know from experience it's easy to add a little more on the plate or that extra biscuit or 4.
    Plates from the 1950's have gotten bigger by 1.5 inches that's massive, I read somewhere it averages out from around 800 calories a meal on the plate in the 1950's to today on our plates averaging around 1200 a meal. They didn't have gyms, scales, calories, they were active, ate when they was hungry, had smaller meals, had their cake and still ate it (tea and cake still a very British thing to do and never ages through the years) because it's not so much what you eat just how much like you said.
  • leasy1
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I ditched the numbers. It was making it a little complex.

I adopted a 90-10% vegetarian-meat lifestyle. That is how I was raised. My father would not let us eat a lot of meat - citing his weird set of reasons.

I let loose in my 20s and early 30s where I'd eat chicken every day for lunch and dinner - well, almost.

It's amazing how much meat reduction transforms the body. I still eat 4 eggs a day because I lift heavy and need the protein. My only other indulgence is non-homogenized milk. I get both from a farm. I literally like the chicken *kitten* in my egg shells because that is how I know they are organic and not stored for too long and washed with chemicals to make them pretty.

Humans were not supposed to eat meat so much. It used to be a delicacy and a rare treat.

So very true!!! When I became healthy, no weighing, no worrying about calories, I turned vegan, the transformation was overnight literally, my ibs went, my skin looked fresh and clear and I had bundles of energy.
    I am a carboholic, bread, pasta, potatoes but it's just a matter of how much and not go crazy, eyes bigger than belly syndrome.
    It's funny when I became vegan i was asked how I'd lost Weight, I told them I was vegan, blimey it was like I told them I had a disease but if I had of said the latest fad diet they would have soon jumped on the band wagon.
  • leasy1
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

??? Calories in an apple?? Summer of 69??? :#