Gym Anxiety...

Options
The beginning of the month I signed up to my local gym for the first time.

Now I've been suffering with anxiety quite badly this year and have noticed it getting worse when I need to go to the gym.

Sometimes I'll motivate myself to get there, then start having a mini panic attack outside before I force myself to enter. (After I've checked in google to see when the gym is particularly empty)

Anyone got any advice for me? Also any Gym advice would be amazing like what I should be using and how long?

Thank you.

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Find a plan that you want to do. Either look at the stickies here, or pick up a book, or decide what you want to do before you even leave the house. Have it written down on a piece of paper. Then when you get there, you will have a small amount of confidence knowing what you're doing. Maybe that will help.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Can you get a personal trainer for a couple sessions, or see if they offer a couple sessions for free to help you with the whats and hows?

As for the anxiety, what is the cause? Is it because it might be busy, or are you worried about people judging you? If it's the second, this happens much less than you think. Most people are there working on their own stuff, and don't much worry themselves about others.
  • holsxox66
    holsxox66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Defiantly worried about people judging me even though I know they aren't paying attention directly at me.

They have a fitness instructor most days,
    I have this programme I have to fill out. I just feel like a fat ogre compared to everyone else.

I've lost 7lbs this month so my eating side of things is working, I just need to find what's best to do at the gym for fat loss and for how long. Thanks guys.
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Go with a freind for more motivation and support if you feel anxious for workout and try to have a workout based on compund lifts with good form(check youtube) sqaut deadlift press movements etc it will.help.improve posture too and always try to progress in them as seeing yourself getting stronger in them will add even more motivation stay strong all the best
  • holsxox66
    holsxox66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    theman900 wrote: »
    Go with a freind for more motivation and support if you feel anxious for workout and try to have a workout based on compund lifts with good form(check youtube) sqaut deadlift press movements etc it will.help.improve posture too and always try to progress in them as seeing yourself getting stronger in them will add even more motivation stay strong all the best

Thank you!
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to get anxious about the gym mostly due to my size at the time, give yourself a push to go and keep going after a while it will help with all anxiety issues and u won't give a monkeys what people in the gym might be thinking.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Set really small goals. See if you can meet with the trainer individually to talk about your concerns. If they're any good they'll listen. Make it as close as possible to IMPOSSIBLE to fail. :)
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I found this article great to help with my gym anxiety when I started :

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-the-gym-everything-you-need-to-know/?t24=true
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Start with low impact cardio... it isn't as glamorous as lifting... but... it will help you get in the habit of going and help establish the routine... low impact cardio = elliptical; cross trainer; stationary bike; etc. Strive for 20-30 minute sessions... as it gets easier increase the levels... in the meantime talk to the employees, ask for an orientation on the rest of the equipment.. there is a woman who visits my gym... obese.. with an oxygen tank... I have mad respect for her. She comes in does some cardio and leaves...

After you get the cardio levels up... consider a fitness class... easy to make friends... and get advice... the key is to show up... good for you for getting in the door. You are going to get it done... small steps are better than no steps
  • halmsafit
    halmsafit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    holsxox66 wrote: »
    The beginning of the month I signed up to my local gym for the first time.

Now I've been suffering with anxiety quite badly this year and have noticed it getting worse when I need to go to the gym.

Sometimes I'll motivate myself to get there, then start having a mini panic attack outside before I force myself to enter. (After I've checked in google to see when the gym is particularly empty)

Anyone got any advice for me? Also any Gym advice would be amazing like what I should be using and how long?

Thank you.

Are you afraid of working out when other people are there? I actually learned a lot by asking girls I saw working out what I should be doing! Also this works for me ( if you get in there and tell yourself you're a badass especially while youre lifting weights or running, you feel a little better being in there!)
  • rachelsambrown8
    rachelsambrown8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try some at home workouts, classes, or walking outdoors??
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try some at home workouts, classes, or walking outdoors??

This! I'm always in favor of reducing anxiety, no need to do something that's stressing you out. Walking outside is soothing to me, but I live in a quiet town with nature trails.
  • CaffeineAngel
    CaffeineAngel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and am prone to panic attacks too.

I tend to go to the gym super early as one of my triggers is sudden, unpredictable noises and there's a few guys who drop their weights and that scares the hell out of me. Also it means I can let my OCD go all out and line up my dumbells/ barbells without someone yelling at me for hoarding equipment :dizzy:

All in all, going to the gym I think helped with my anxiety especially resistance training. Walking in the early morning whilst listening to an audio book is good too.

(and yes, I did fully convert to being a "morning person" as people frighten me lol...not proud of that fact).
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bring some music and ear buds and zone out. also my gym has a small room with some of the equipment to watch a movie in- there's never anyone in there. i'd totally hide in there! i've also gone super duper late and saw maybe two people in the gym. if you're not a morning person. remember there are people who look sillier than you. point them out if you do find yourself looking around. it always makes me feel better :p
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My first day at the gym, I felt the same. I walked in at 203 surrounded by fitness models (well, they looked like it haha) I was surrounded by mirrors and very aware at that point about two things. I looked like crap and felt just as bad physically and psychologically. I wanted to walk out so bad, and I'm certain I cried a few times my first few days as I could hardly exercise for longer then a few minutes. I also embarrassed myself because I didn't know treadmill was touch screen and spent ten minutes doing silly stuff to try to get it to go.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto's to starting with some cardio - merely as warmup - and get used to seeing people, and them seeing you.

Then wander over to the strength training stuff, and look up ahead of time 1 thing you are going to pickup and do.
    And then do it.

Next time add something else to it, or something else instead. But get to 2 things being worked on.
    Perhaps start with squats. Just the bar.

You mentioned what would be best for fat loss.

That would be eating less than you burn. Which you've got down already.
    Exercise is usually about what will help it ONLY be fat loss, and of course health in general.

Strength training will help there to be something under the fat as it's lost to show up, and hopefully prevent any loss of muscle you've got already.

Cardio won't do that for you.

Many times inspires confidence too - picking up for you heavy things and pushing body to a limit. Helps walk taller.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same when I joined a gym a couple of months ago. I decided to start some PT sessions to build confidence and learn the machines. They are expensive but even if you just have one or two sessions it's very beneficial.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Not everyone in a gym that looks good started that way. Sure there are some with a genetic advantage and history and all that. But almost everyone I know when the subject comes up, gives great respect to those who come and put the work in. Most, if they look at you, do not look at you with disdain. Why? Because many of those people have been where you are.

Me? I'm a work in progress. Some time ago I was a work in progress too, just with a bit less progress than now. It just took taking a step.

So just take a step. And then another. And then another.

• philyflyazz
    philyflyazz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have gym anxiety as well no way to get over it I just cope with itvpr workout outdoors at a park or bike trail in the summer then winter workout at home
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I feel this so hard! In college when I first started wanting to get in shape, I started with swimming; nobody could really see what I looked like under water. I also went to the gym at off hours like you; eventually I got used to running into classmates and it wasn't a big deal, but at first I felt like a poser.

Honestly other people are probably just as worried about judgment as you. Who knows; maybe there's someone there who has transformed themselves in a year; maybe a year ago they too had anxiety being seen at the gym. We assume everyone is static and has been working out for ages; but everyone was once a beginner.