Intermittent Fasting Question...

Options
kmaf2018
kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
Hi All

I know not everyone agrees with IF so please don't be mean to me. I'm not doing it for weight loss as I'm doing this anyway through a calorie deficit. I'm doing IF for the other benefits and since Friday night when I started my fast I do feel so much better already...but I know its not for everyone! and I'm eating the same amount of calories doing the intermittent fasting...

I just have a question for those who do do intermittent fasting.

Can I manage my own "eating window"? I'm currently following the 16:8 way (well kind of) but have read people do 20/4 or 18/6 so basically the longer you fast the shorter your eating window but does it really matter what eating window you have? So say yesterday I broke my fast at 3.30pm which was a 22hr fast which would've given me only a 2 hour window to eat my foods/calories so I chose to end my eating window at 9pm which meant I fasted for 22 hours and had an eating window of 5.5hours, then at 9pm I restarted my fast and won't break my fast until 1.30pm today which means I've fasted for 16.5 hours.....which then I will go home, have my dinner no later than 7pm and my fast would start again at 7pm and so on..

Does that make sense?

Kel

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Yep. You can do IF with any sort of fast/eat split that works best for you. There isn't one specific split that you must stick to, it's to each their own.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Yep, pick a duration and place that eating window wherever it works for you.

I eat to a 14:10 pattern most days.
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    Brilliant thank you...Do I just need to make sure I fast for no less than 16 hours? or I wouldn't be properly fasting?

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    <shrugs> I've been fasting for years and I only occasionally fast for 16 hours. I'm not aware that there is club that demands 16hrs + to be "proper faster" but maybe the're keeping it secret from me because I'm not hardcore enough for them?

Seriously - There is nothing magical that happens after exactly 16 hours of fasting.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It's mostly a method of curbing snacking and allowing someone to feel satiety after a meal while also restricting calories. I think 16:8 has been more or less working for me, but sometimes I just. Can't. Yesterday I almost passed out though I got plenty of calories the day before; I read up on it and yep, most IF research is on men. Evidently premenopausal and non obese women don't fare well with longer fasts. Sometimes it's fun and interesting to experiment with eating windows but recognize and honor your limits. If you enjoy 20:4 or OMAD, more power to you!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm not being mean, but does it really matter? You're an adult, you can eat what you like, when you like - if it doesn't fit a certain definition of a diet, it doesn't matter! There are no food police.

I do IF but only because I like eating more at night, and I feel fine not eating until later in the day. I'm busy from early on in the day and don't get a proper break til later (anytime from 1 to 4) so coffee generally gets me through no problems. I don't worry about how long my eating window or fasting period is though...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    It's mostly a method of curbing snacking and allowing someone to feel satiety after a meal while also restricting calories. I think 16:8 has been more or less working for me, but sometimes I just. Can't. Yesterday I almost passed out though I got plenty of calories the day before; I read up on it and yep, most IF research is on men. Evidently premenopausal and non obese women don't fare well with longer fasts. Sometimes it's fun and interesting to experiment with eating windows but recognize and honor your limits. If you enjoy 20:4 or OMAD, more power to you!

i read somewhere when i was looking into IF that women do better with 14:10 because of hormones etc.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    KMAF00 wrote: »
    Hi All

I know not everyone agrees with IF so please don't be mean to me. I'm not doing it for weight loss as I'm doing this anyway through a calorie deficit. I'm doing IF for the other benefits and since Friday night when I started my fast I do feel so much better already...but I know its not for everyone! and I'm eating the same amount of calories doing the intermittent fasting...

I just have a question for those who do do intermittent fasting.

Can I manage my own "eating window"? I'm currently following the 16:8 way (well kind of) but have read people do 20/4 or 18/6 so basically the longer you fast the shorter your eating window but does it really matter what eating window you have? So say yesterday I broke my fast at 3.30pm which was a 22hr fast which would've given me only a 2 hour window to eat my foods/calories so I chose to end my eating window at 9pm which meant I fasted for 22 hours and had an eating window of 5.5hours, then at 9pm I restarted my fast and won't break my fast until 1.30pm today which means I've fasted for 16.5 hours.....which then I will go home, have my dinner no later than 7pm and my fast would start again at 7pm and so on..

Does that make sense?

Kel

Yes, you're fine. You don't have to worry about holding your windows to the minute or making them exactly the same every day. Or stress if you "miss" a day and don't fast for an extended period. It's ok
  • kmaf2018
    Options
    Thank you everyone.