Cutting help???

Options
I currently do a long amount of cardio after every weight session at least 6 times per week because I am scared of gaining weight after loosing a lot of weight.

Is this too much cardio which is preventing me from gaining or keeping muscle to make me look leaner? Am I just making my weight sessions pointless?

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you are eating. If you aren't eating enough you may be losing muscle and you certainly aren't gaining muscle unless you are in a surplus.

You won't gain weight unless you are eating in a surplus. If you enjoy doing that much cardio, go ahead. But don't do it out of fear.
  • matt151200
    matt151200 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    JakeTay18 wrote: »
    I currently do a long amount of cardio after every weight session at least 6 times per week because I am scared of gaining weight after loosing a lot of weight.

Is this too much cardio which is preventing me from gaining or keeping muscle to make me look leaner? Am I just making my weight sessions pointless?
    mate stop th cardio altogether and focus on lifting weights keep in a deficit around 20 % lower than maintenance calories and the fat will fall off revealing some nice toned muscle :) ....I used to bash the cardio eating so called clean ( which now I know is BS) all that matters is caloric deficit and sufficient protein and fiber
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to cut or are you try to bulk?

Because you asked for "cutting help"--if that's the case, then you are doing it the right way--being at a deficit.

Now if you are done losing weight and are trying to build muscle, then you are doing it the wrong way--you need to be in a surplus to bulk. And you will add some fat along with the muscle, but then you go on another cut, then another bulk...
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    JakeTay18 wrote: »

Cardio will help your cardio performance. But...since it burns calories, it may shortchange your strength training if you are lifting heavy. Generally, unless you are newbie to weights, you won't be able to both build muscle and lose fat at the same time. If you lift heavy in a deficit, you'll preserve muscle mass, but you won't likely gain any muscle size.

I'm not an expert here, but generally lifting heavy is the key. And as matt says, eat sufficient protein to help preserve the muscle you have. At a deficit, you'll cut. If you want more size, you'll need to eat more.

Also, I'm not sure that 6x per week will help unless you are targeting different areas. Your muscles need recovery time to repair and build after working them....
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Gaining or losing weight is dependent on your calorie intake. Unless you're eating more than you burn, you aren't going to gain weight. And if you want to gain muscle, you actually do have to eat more.