Options
2»

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    L0Lnikki wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Two things: Make sure you are weighing food to get an accurate calorie measurement, and know that beginning a workout regimen causes your muscles to retain water and glucose. That water has weight to it.

I'm going to be purchasing a scale next month. Until then, I use measuring cup based on the serving sizes on the nutritional box. If I can't figure it out, I put it back down!

just know that measuring cups are very inaccurate (compared to weighing)...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nevermind

• kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Take pictures once a month, a side pic and a front on pic and compare them u will see the difference then
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Are you taking pictures? If not, you don't know for sure that you haven't changed noticeably. I don't think I saw any really noticeable results until after 2-3 months.

Same with me.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Your bike may be overstating your calorie burn. I have a stationary cycle on which I ride 20-25 mph. In 30 minutes I cycle 11 miles, and the bike tells me I burned about 150 calories. Yours is telling you twice that or more.

Also, how many days a week are you riding? Are you eating back some of the calories? Are you doing other exercises as well?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    What sort of notable changes are you hoping to see in 2 weeks? A visual change? A loss on the scale? A change in measurements? Increased strength/speed/endurance?

Short answer: you're being impatient regardless of what changes you're looking for. But how long it will take for you to see certain changes will depend on what kind of change you're looking for and approximately 2749050202 other variables.

Patience is your friend.
  • littlelonestarsoapco
    Options
    I can understand your frustration. You've decided to make a lifestyle change and your not seeing results yet. I remember after 2 weeks it felt a lot longer. Your food is different you're working out, sore muscles and maybe even fighting some cravings. This doesn't make you a bad person. Just remember how long it took you to put on that weight. It didn't happen overnight so cut YOURSELF some slack. You WILL get there. Keep doing what your doing. Little steps will add up to big leaps. Even without the scale try and remember to keep your portions small. Lean proteins the size of your palm. Servings of veggies size of your fist. Stay realistic and remember weight loss is best if done slow and steady and will have a less chance of coming back on. You got this!!!!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yes. First, you are starting to replace fat with lean muscle and no, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 5lbs is 5lbs no matter how you slice it. However, 5lbs of lean muscle takes up far less space than 5lbs of fat does. Also, we carry fat internally around our organs and such so do not be surprised in the least if that is where it is burning off from first. Lastly, you should most definitely alternate or add resistance training to your routine. It amps your metabolism and the lean muscle it's transforming your fat into adds up to you burning more calories at rest. Be prepared to be hungrier either the days you do the resistance training or the days after; that is your body repairing itself and getting stronger for the next round.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    KesaKesa wrote: »
    It's also important to point out that stationary bikes are not accurate in providing calories burned. It is common for the machines to overestimate how much work you have done in calories and what you are currently doing in terms of riding speed. It is quite possible you are not using as many calories as you think you are. I would take the cals burned figures with a pinch of salt.

True dat.

I take spin classes twice a week - i.e. stationary bike, very vigorous.

The calories the bike gives me for these workouts are completely laughable: Routinely, about two and a half times the number of calories my heart rate monitor says I burned.

OP, stay with your routine for at least a month, six weeks if you're a premenopausal woman (because monthly cycles cause water weight whackiness that's different for everyone). By then, you'll have a better idea of your actual weight loss rate.

And definitely get that food scale.

Good luck - with patience & persistence, you can do this!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Yes. First, you are starting to replace fat with lean muscle and no, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 5lbs is 5lbs no matter how you slice it. However, 5lbs of lean muscle takes up far less space than 5lbs of fat does. Also, we carry fat internally around our organs and such so do not be surprised in the least if that is where it is burning off from first. Lastly, you should most definitely alternate or add resistance training to your routine. It amps your metabolism and the lean muscle it's transforming your fat into adds up to you burning more calories at rest. Be prepared to be hungrier either the days you do the resistance training or the days after; that is your body repairing itself and getting stronger for the next round.

No. Did you not read the earlier responses to the post? she is not putting on appreciable muscle mass in 2 weeks of riding her bike.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Did you gain all your fat in 2 weeks? No!

Did you notice yourself gaining weight each week? Probably not.

Why expect to lose them that quickly? Patience and consistency are key when changing body composition.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Its taken me about four months to notice a change. And even then, its extremely hard to see in the mirror, some days are better than others. Progress pictures do help and I wish I took a real "before" picture, because I compared the earliest one I had to a recent picture a few days ago and you definitely can see a change, but its taken a few months.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Agreed with this who have said:

-You need patience.
    Two weeks is nothing.

-It's not muscle.
    You're supposedly in a deficit (are you using a food scale for ALL foods that aren't liquid, even prepackaged food?) and doing cardio. Muscle mass isn't created that way. It takes a long time, a lot of work and eating over maintenance to build muscle outside of newbie gains.