Full body toning workout recommendations please?

Options
I want to tone up my arms, legs, abs, bum (full body really) - can anyone recommend a short but effective workout on u-tube? I don't have a lot of spare time & aim to do this 4-5 times a week each morning before work - so it needs to be simple, & no more than 10-15 mins in length - which is going to nicely tone up all over. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S - I love using a fitness ball - so a workout incorporating a ball, would be of particular interest - thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do not think you can get a full body workout in 10-15 minutes a day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Looking more defined, or toned, will come from losing fat to show the muscles you have underneath. That requires a deficit....
    Doing resistance training in a deficit helps retain the muscle you have, but I agree with @jemhh, you need more than 10-15 minutes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I want to tone up my arms, legs, abs, bum (full body really) - can anyone recommend a short but effective workout on u-tube? I don't have a lot of spare time & aim to do this 4-5 times a week each morning before work - so it needs to be simple, & no more than 10-15 mins in length - which is going to nicely tone up all over. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S - I love using a fitness ball - so a workout incorporating a ball, would be of particular interest - thanks!

That would be one magical workout if it existed.
  • rickylee2017
    rickylee2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings provide a low impact total body toning exercise. If you have 10 to 15 minutes per day and do progressively more reps each week, you will soon have the tone you are looking for. Done right this workout is not easy. If anybody thinks so, get a 20 lb bell and do three sets of fifty swings in ten minutes! I think you will be a believe after that
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Kettlebell swings provide a low impact total body toning exercise. If you have 10 to 15 minutes per day and do progressively more reps each week, you will soon have the tone you are looking for. Done right this workout is not easy. If anybody thinks so, get a 20 lb bell and do three sets of fifty swings in ten minutes! I think you will be a believe after that

Pretty much the only thing you can do 10-15 minutes a day.. although I'd suggest 10 EMOM vs 50x3.

And I wouldn't suggest anyone other than a novice woman use such a small bell. It will encourage poor form
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My fitness "bible" (Strength Training Exercises for Women by Joan Pagano) has a section at the back with cardio-and-dumbbell interval workouts that are supposed to be 15 minutes each, including warmup and stretches. They take me more like 25-30. But they used to take 45, so, progress? (I've got some coordination issues and I'm not sure if I'm still a newb at this, but I was when I started, so making sure I've got my form right, that I'm paying attention to what my arms and legs are doing simultaneously while inhaling and exhaling at the right points in the exercise means that for me, I need to slow the pace a bit to get it right. If you don't have those problems, you might be able to get one of those workouts done in 15, but maybe not right away.)
  • adelitazzz75
    adelitazzz75 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions - I shall definitely think about investing in some kettle bells & perhaps allocate a bit more time each day to my work out - cheers
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You can work out only 10 minutes a day if you feel that's all you can do, but you won't get the same results as longer workout. Personally I think that 2 x 30 min would be better.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Looking more defined, or toned, will come from losing fat to show the muscles you have underneath. That requires a deficit....
    Doing resistance training in a deficit helps retain the muscle you have, but I agree with @jemhh, you need more than 10-15 minutes.

without knowing someones current height/weight etc, i'd never suggest a deficit. Depending on her current bodyfat situation, "toning" could even mean she needs to eat in a surplus or at maint at the very least to actually build up some muscle before cutting to reveal it. If thats you in your profile picture, you should know this.

And yes it will take more than 15 minutes a day, but thats a good start and better than nothing.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your expectation of trying to get a workout in 10-15 minutes a few times a week and get tones. The fact is, you can do this, but...

You'll need to focus on what's important, and what will have the most impact.

The single most important way you can 'get toned' is to lose body fat. The fastest, easiest way to do this is though eating less, not exercising more. Concentrate on getting your calorie deficit primarily through less food (within reason). I second those above that said if you don't need to lose bodyfat, forget the deficit and go right to lifting.

The next thing you'll need is muscle. Most aerobic-type workouts make you feel tired, like you accomplished something, and you got that 'burn'. The actual best way is through lifting weights. I think a great place to start is Stronglifts 5x5, now while you can't do this at home with a kettlebell, you can adapt it to some dumbells and it is a great place to start learning about lifting because it's only 5 exercises and you can do them in 15 minutes at home with dumbells.

The bad news is that you're going to want to progress, then you'll be needing 15-20 minutes, then 30-45, but that' ok, you only needed the 10-15 to get you started. :)
  • HockeyGoalie35
    HockeyGoalie35 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Kettlebelllllllll
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Shaun T has some really good videos. I found some on YouTube and borrowed some from my library. Your library can be a great resource. The Firm, Jillian Michaels, and Denise Austin also have good videos that incorporate dumbbells.
  • adelitazzz75
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone.......this been very helpful. I am 5'2 & need to lose 20lb.....I shall concentrate on that & gradually start incorporating more strength training into my daily routine ☺️
  • BekShark
    BekShark Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Another advocate here for kettlebells. They are a great combo of cardio and strength training.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Cross country skiing
  • adelitazzz75
    Options
    Skiing I love - although not really possible to incorporate it into my daily routine as a form of exercise - due to me living in the U.K. & there not being much snow or mountains near by! I do however go to France once a year for a weeks skiing - & its definitely a great workout!