Not sure I can finish running the 10K I signed up for. Any advice?

Options
I signed up for a 10k a couple of months ago. I routinely run 3 miles or more and have worked up to 4.5 pretty easily. I thought I would have plenty of time to get up to 6, but job changes, heat wave (heat exhaustion too) have slowed me down. I've never tried a 10k, will I be humiliated if I have to walk some? Does anyone walk some of these? It's the 1st year for this race so there is no history for me to ask the sponsor's. Its in 2 weeks and I'm running out of time!!

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I say walk/run the race. You'll be awesome!! Start a walk/run interval right now. See how it goes for you. The heat will definitely slow you down a bit, but don't worry about that! You are lapping everyone on the couch!!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    There will definitely be people walking. In just about every race I have ever done there have been people who do scheduled walk/run intervals (e.g. run 4 minutes/walk 1 minute) and people who will run as much as they can and walk when they need to. In most shorter races (5K and 10K), especially if they are charity events, there are almost always as many walkers as runners. It will not be an problem and you will have nothing to be embarrassed about. You may also be surprised to find out that you get an extra added push from the race atmosphere that can carry you through. Go do it and have fun!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bossymom15 wrote: »
    I signed up for a 10k a couple of months ago. I routinely run 3 miles or more and have worked up to 4.5 pretty easily. I thought I would have plenty of time to get up to 6, but job changes, heat wave (heat exhaustion too) have slowed me down. I've never tried a 10k, will I be humiliated if I have to walk some? Does anyone walk some of these? It's the 1st year for this race so there is no history for me to ask the sponsor's. Its in 2 weeks and I'm running out of time!!

will you be humiliated? i don't know the answer to that....? there's nothing wrong with walking during a 10k though.

in 2 weeks you cant do much to improve your fitness so it is what it is. enjoy!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I run for fun. Go out and enjoy it. My last road half marathon I ended up talking with someone I had never met the last 6 miles. Walk when you need to, no shame
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Yes. Many people even walk a 5K.

Start toward the back of the pack, that way you can pass more people than pass you.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever done a race where I didn't walk at least a part of it, whether a 5K or a HM. My PR's range from 24:24 for a 5K to 2:10:07 for a HM, despite doing some walking.

Run when you can, walk when you must, and you will be fine. Just be courteous and stay off to the right when you walk so those who are running can pass you.

While I don't intentionally follow the Jeff Galloway method, there are some runners who do. In my case, I just walk sometimes because I struggle with pacing and sometimes need to catch my breath. This is more often true when it is hot and humid with heat indexes in the range of 100F-120F as we have seen lately in my area.
  • slowclydesdale
    slowclydesdale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No sin to walk, when you have to...Even ULTRARUNNERS walk, some-of-the-time. You paid for the race. Run (when you can), walk (when you have to), and enjoy the course and post-race festivities! Have fun!! :)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Keep training, and run or walk alternately if you need it. You may even finish faster using a run/walk method than if you ran the entire 10K. Have fun!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Purposely run/walk it from the start - that way at the end you can finish it strong running rather than be forced to walk it.
    Like 3-4 min run, 1 min walk.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Purposely run/walk it from the start - that way at the end you can finish it strong running rather than be forced to walk it.
    Like 3-4 min run, 1 min walk.

This exactly. You know you can run 4-5 miles. So build in your walk breaks. Front load them so that you're taking them before you have to. That way you can finish hard and strong. If you've got a good 4mph or better walk pace, you won't really even lose that much time off your race.

I just did a 10K back in mid May. And I beat my target time/estimated finish by 10 minutes by resting before I had to. I'd planned to run/walk with a 75-80 min target. I finished just past 70.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If you can run 4.5 miles in training, I am fairly certain that the adrenaline from participating in the race will inspire you to run the entire 10k! People regularly walk parts of these races - I would just line up toward the back, do your best, and if you have to walk portions of it, honestly, no one is going to notice.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    The humiliation, if any, will all be in your own mind. No one else will care, and you will do better than all the people who sat out the race because they were intimidated by the weather or the distance.

This - absolutely this!
    But if you want to feel in control of walking, and have some positive tips on walking, I'd recommend having a look at Jeff Galloway's method. It has got me through many 10Ks, 10 milers, HM's and a marathon.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lots of people use a run/walk system at races and you'll eve seen pace bunnies at some of the bigger events for both continuous running and run/walk.

At 4.5 miles you're already pretty close but heat kicks my butt too. There's no shame in either slowing down to run continuously or walking part of the race.....just remember stay well hydrated and smile for the finish line photo.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you need to ease off your training due to the heat wave/potential for heat injury, do that as well... you've got a good base, you don't want to end up injured coming up to the race.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    bossymom15 wrote: »
    I've never tried a 10k, will I be humiliated if I have to walk some? Does anyone walk some of these? It's the 1st year for this race so there is no history for me to ask the sponsor's. Its in 2 weeks and I'm running out of time!!

Nope. A LOT of people will be walking at least portions of it. There are usually some people walking all/most of it. Don't worry about taking a walking break. In fact, average pace will usually be a lot faster if you take that walking break when needed instead of letting your run devolve into an extended slow slog.

FYI-Of the races I've done, the fastest cut off time I've come across amounted to ~13:00/mi average (half marathon with no corresponding marathon)(the same race has since switched to a 15:00/mi average cutoff for the current year).
  • Sandra37405
    Sandra37405 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I received advice years ago from an experienced distance runner - "if you can run 3, you can run 6". I bet you will have no problem with the 10K. Just pace yourself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Every race I've ever done has had walkers...