Rates of loss per week: 2lbs, 1lb, .5lb

Options
MossiO
MossiO Posts: 164 Member
So, from looking at threads here, I gather that the recommendations are for someone who is quite overweight to start out at 2lbs a week. And that usually is recommended until about, say 50lbs to goal weight. At which point the suggestions are to switch to 1lb a week. And then with about, maybe 20 lbs left, to switch to .5 a week. Is that about right? Your mileage may vary, of course.

I've been on 1lb a week, and down 20, but I'm finding it hard to stick to my calories, so I'm thinking of switching to .5lb a week, but I still have 30 to go.

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that with a smaller deficit you'll need to be really tight with your logging. I totally agree that slower is better if it helps you stick with your plan. Just keep a close tabs om your intake.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    MossiO wrote: »
    So, from looking at threads here, I gather that the recommendations are for someone who is quite overweight to start out at 2lbs a week. And that usually is recommended until about, say 50lbs to goal weight. At which point the suggestions are to switch to 1lb a week. And then with about, maybe 20 lbs left, to switch to .5 a week. Is that about right? Your mileage may vary, of course.

I've been on 1lb a week, and down 20, but I'm finding it hard to stick to my calories, so I'm thinking of switching to .5lb a week, but I still have 30 to go.

A Lot of it depends on your Daily level of activity and quantity of purposeful activity/exercise.

There's sort of a break even point where adding activity allows you to add dietary calories and increase your level of fullness. "too much" activity, and this is largely and highly personal will result in either increased hunger or decreased energy.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    MossiO wrote: »

If you need more calories, allow yourself more calories.

How many pounds per week to choose as your loss rate is a personal choice. I disagree with the chart that is often copied and pasted to threads about how many pounds to lose, as I think that most women need a smaller absolute deficit than men in order to sustain their diets. But some women many like that chart so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

But yes, eat more if you need it.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Within reason, your rate of loss is entirely a personal choice. It isn't a race. Just do what works and is sustainable for you.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    As stated above, rate of loss is totally up to you and what you think will be sustainable. In fact depending on your goals you don't necessarily have to reduce your rate of loss when close to your target. That conventional wisdom comes from the fact that it's harder to lose weight once you're already close to a normal weight because your overall calorie needs are already lower and targeting a faster rate of loss would drop you to an unsustainable amount of calories (for example, a male that weighs at the upper end of 'normal' with a maintenance target of 2200 calories per day would need to drop to 1200 calories in order to lose at 2 pounds per week. A 500 calorie deficit would be much more realistic and sustainable for him).

In reality, if your ultimate target is in the upper range of 'normal', you can continue to target a loss of 2 pounds per week to the very end. You should still have a reasonable amount of calories to eat even at the larger deficit. If you want to continue to lose once in the normal range (that is, drop from the upper end to the middle or lower end) then that's when you probably want to consider easing off your deficit and dropping down to 1 to 0.5 pounds per week.

I started with 40 pounds to lose in order to finish at the upper end of the normal' weight range for my height. I'm about 10 pounds from target now and plan to continue to target 2 to 2.5 pounds per week for another 5 weeks. After that I plan to shift to a long term 'maintenance deficit' of about 250 calories per day in order to slowly move towards the middle of my normal weight range or (more likely) to give me a bit of a weekly buffer for drinks and the occasional night out splurge without risking putting the weight back on.

The other benefit of tapering off your rate of loss is psychological. Not only does it help to temper your expectations to avoid discouragement when so close to your goal but it also helps to ease you into maintenance mode for the long term. Think of it as gradually coasting to a stop in your car as opposed to slamming on the brakes at the last minute.

Good luck. The most important thing is to think long term sustainability and to come up with a plan that will work for you.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I focused on tracking first and studying my eating habits, then started making gradual changes, and only then (about a year into the process) started focusing on reducing calories. I've been steadily losing weight over the last seven months and am stabilized at about 3 lbs a month right now - that feels about right. As others have said, it's all about sustainability.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    As stated above, rate of loss is totally up to you and what you think will be sustainable. In fact depending on your goals you don't necessarily have to reduce your rate of loss when close to your target. That conventional wisdom comes from the fact that it's harder to lose weight once you're already close to a normal weight because your overall calorie needs are already lower and targeting a faster rate of loss would drop you to an unsustainable amount of calories (for example, a male that weighs at the upper end of 'normal' with a maintenance target of 2200 calories per day would need to drop to 1200 calories in order to lose at 2 pounds per week. A 500 calorie deficit would be much more realistic and sustainable for him).

In reality, if your ultimate target is in the upper range of 'normal', you can continue to target a loss of 2 pounds per week to the very end. You should still have a reasonable amount of calories to eat even at the larger deficit. If you want to continue to lose once in the normal range (that is, drop from the upper end to the middle or lower end) then that's when you probably want to consider easing off your deficit and dropping down to 1 to 0.5 pounds per week.

I started with 40 pounds to lose in order to finish at the upper end of the normal' weight range for my height. I'm about 10 pounds from target now and plan to continue to target 2 to 2.5 pounds per week for another 5 weeks. After that I plan to shift to a long term 'maintenance deficit' of about 250 calories per day in order to slowly move towards the middle of my normal weight range or (more likely) to give me a bit of a weekly buffer for drinks and the occasional night out splurge without risking putting the weight back on.

The other benefit of tapering off your rate of loss is psychological. Not only does it help to temper your expectations to avoid discouragement when so close to your goal but it also helps to ease you into maintenance mode for the long term. Think of it as gradually coasting to a stop in your car as opposed to slamming on the brakes at the last minute.

Good luck. The most important thing is to think long term sustainability and to come up with a plan that will work for you.

The bolded information above is a prime example of why deficit should be tapered. The nutritional minimum for a male is 1500 calories per day. For a male to drop to 1200 they would risk hair loss, loss of energy, brittle nails, and muscle mass loss. Not very good outcomes. To continue to goal weight at such high rates of loss is a risky and ill advised strategy. It also, does not teach one to learn the proper habits of eating at close to maintenance so that the change is permanent. Thus, the prevalence of the cycle of crash dieting and regaining that we see around here regularly.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    High quality responses already. Just wanted to add that there is a quality of life factor involved for some people: they prefer more calories and thus a slower rate of loss. That is perfectly okay! It's ultimately up to the individual. I focus on healthier choices and keeping in my calorie goal which gives me about 0.75lbs of loss weekly. You can set your own goals if that is helpful for you.
  • newlark01
    newlark01 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I did 10 days aiming at 0.5lb per week to begin with to get used to tracking and to restricting my intake (still felt hungry!). I then switched to 1 lb per week. In fact my loss has been higher (water at the start etc) and is settling at 1.3lb per week (about 8 weeks in) as I'm avoiding eating exercise calories. Am 17lb down and at the top end of the normal range now, aiming at another 11-18 lbs to aim just above the middle of the range. This rate feels really sustainable - I don't think I could have eaten at a much bigger deficit and stuck to it.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'm 10lbs from goal and my rate of loss is 1.25/week on average, sometimes more sometimes less. This is an individual choice based on how much you want to eat and how fast you want to lose.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your plan sounds good!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

In reality, if your ultimate target is in the upper range of 'normal', you can continue to target a loss of 2 pounds per week to the very end.

I started with 40 pounds to lose in order to finish at the upper end of the normal' weight range for my height. I'm about 10 pounds from target now and plan to continue to target 2 to 2.5 pounds per week for another 5 weeks.

How is it possible for a person to safely achieve a 1000-1250 (2-2.5 lbs/week) deficit very close to a healthy BMI? I still have 40 lbs to lose to get to my upper limit of a healthy BMI and 2 lbs/week would give me a calorie allowance of about 1000, well below the recommended minimum. A very active person could eat more, but would still be in danger of underfueling their body at a 1000 calorie deficit.

My feeling is, the goal should reflect a person's comfort *and* overall health considerations.