Not sure I can finish running the 10K I signed up for. Any advice?

Options

Replies

• Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Run/Walk/Run is a popular program. Check out Jeff Galloway's book on it. Great program to run with minimal injury.

iPhone has apps where Galloway coaches you through programs from 5K to marathon. Check the app store for lulu apps. I've not seen these available for Android devices. The app actually plays music to match your cadence through the run and walk segments, adjusting tempo up and down to match your run/walk.

You'll be surprised as to how much faster you can actually finish the race using this method. I can cover a 5K faster using run/walk/run than trying to run the complete distance at my current fitness level.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I walked alot in a half marathon I did. I am 99.999999% sure you will not be the slowest one. And no reason to be humiliated! For what its worth I had a blast doing the half marathon even though I wasn't as prepared for it as I would have liked. Runners are awesome, go, have fun, chat with random people on the course, and then sign up for another one and keep bettering yourself!

Best wishes~
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    bossymom15 wrote: »
    I've never tried a 10k, will I be humiliated if I have to walk some? Does anyone walk some of these? It's the 1st year for this race so there is no history for me to ask the sponsor's. Its in 2 weeks and I'm running out of time!!

Nope. A LOT of people will be walking at least portions of it. There are usually some people walking all/most of it. Don't worry about taking a walking break. In fact, average pace will usually be a lot faster if you take that walking break when needed instead of letting your run devolve into an extended slow slog.

FYI-Of the races I've done, the fastest cut off time I've come across amounted to ~13:00/mi average (half marathon with no corresponding marathon)(the same race has since switched to a 15:00/mi average cutoff for the current year).

That is fast, because you've got beginning/casual runners that are running 4.3 or 4.5 mph and for a Half they're going to take walk breaks.
  • jlavdl86
    jlavdl86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Run at a slower pace than you're used to at the beginning. Feel free to run/walk. I ran my first 10k in June, I had an injury that prevented any sort of training. Never running greater than 5 miles prior to this. I got clearance from ortho the week before the race. I took that entire week off from high impact exercise. Went to race, ran slower than I am used to and finished. The adrenaline will definitely pull you through. If you can run 4.5, you can run 6.2. Trust yourself. It'll be fine, have a great time!
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Walking is not humiliation. It's a training program and running technique like any other. It's called the Galloway method and it's used for any distance from 5ks to full marathons. So run when u need to and walk when u need to. More importantly, enjoy your race.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I did a 10K and walked probably about half of it. And I didn't even finish last. There were people behind me. The point is I did it - so did they. It's not a competition.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It feels like an insult to those of us who walk all our 10ks to label walking=humiliation!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Since you still have two weeks before your race, it might give you confidence to run a 5 miler this week and possibly a 5.5 the next. It isn't necessary, but since you know you can do 4.5, it isn't that much of a stretch to add another 5 minutes or so.

On race day, keep your pace easy, especially if it's hot. Starting slow and speeding up at the end feels a whole lot better than starting out fast and crashing and then dragging yourself the last couple of miles. (BTDT)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a walk/run blend. I actually get better times when I do that, as opposed to when I tried to force myself to run the whole thing. I care more about time than whether I "run" it all, so I certainly don't feel humiliated.

Every race I've done, I see people walking. Considering that includes several half marathons, there's certainly nothing "humiliating" about it.
  • JIJames2017
    JIJames2017 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is the most amazing feeling to finish a race - run or walk but just get to the end , I set myself little challenges - like run to the next marker or tree - step by step. Whatever you do make sure you go and have a go otherwise you will regret it.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Every race I've done from 5k to half marathon has had plenty of walkers. Some people walk the entire course, others follow some sort of run/walk method. No need to feel humiliated at all! You may be participating in a race with thousands of other people, but it is still very individual. Enjoy the race, and I would not be surprised if you are able to run the whole thing based on your training and the adrenaline of the race day.
  • I3righti3lue24
    I3righti3lue24 Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Take breaks - run some, power walk, slow walk. An be GLAD you finished. The time isn't important, but its a starting point for your future 10ks! People who does theses things, from my experience, don't care if you walk. What they care about is motivating you and seeing you finish!
  • abe_ebc
    abe_ebc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! I did my first 10k last month..up til race day the most I'd run was 6k. I managed to run the whole lot..slowly. And looking at the race pics not at all prettily! And if you need to walk parts, do that. There were loads of people doing run/walk on my one. I listened to a podcast the whole way..I find that distracts me from the ' i can't do this; how much further; surely that 5km sign is in wrong spot...I must be well over halfway' typethoughts -especially if I get really engrossed in it.

I was told on race day you can do 50%more than your longer training run ( due to adrenaline and atmosphere etc).I think that's true.

On an aside...be prepared for everything to hurt later in day (and days after!). I expected some doms..but it was awful. My armpits even ached-goodness knows what I did to deserve that!!

Anyway, all the best for it
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Run some, walk some, it being your first you WILL have a PERSONAL BEST! You won't be the only one who walks ;-)
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I already Do some interval walking in the beginning as it is, and always finish stronger, so maybe it will not be as difficult as I fear. Didn't mean to insult anyone with the "humiliation" comment. Since I had never done a 10K I just wasn't sure what to expect. I just have this visual of everyone done, gone and I'm the last/lonely at the end. :) . thanks again!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Does this race have a 5K option? You may be able to switch your registration.

My physiotherapist made me PROMISE to switch to walking for the rest of the race if I felt any sort of pain that I knew could not be shaken off.

Respect your limits. Walk if you need to. The winner is the one who stays strong to race again.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    so...ran the whole 10k. Was at the back of the runners, but in front of the walkers, so I'm content. Really was not difficult at all. Thanks for the encouragement.

AWESOME!!!

So when is the next race? :D
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for a 10k and am doing the c25k continued of bridge to 10k.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    so...ran the whole 10k. Was at the back of the runners, but in front of the walkers, so I'm content. Really was not difficult at all. Thanks for the encouragement.

@bossymom15 - That is so awesome, coming after the FUD you expressed earlier in the thread! Way to go!

And now you know what a 10K race is like. If you want to run more of them, you know what to expect.