Options
2»

Replies

• ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kclewis416 wrote: »
    ^^ any way to dumb that down for me.. ? :)

Starting with a basic rmr/bmr, whatever yours may be(1,200, 1,300, 1,500 calories per day), add or don't add additional macros to obtain your desired physique or maintain your dietary plan. If you're deprived of energy, feel like you're not eating enough or too much, add or subtract 50 - 200 calories of your needed macros. Baseline physical activities such as cleaning, caring for kids, etc. aren't calculated into most rmr/bmr dietary plans and are hardly regarded in beginner's physical fitness. Although you could just track the activity as an exercise, adjusting the calories used back into your diet could be more suitable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    You can't count regular day activities you do every day as exercise. That's just your activity level. Now if you cleaned or gardened once a week, then yes. But a walking mailman walks everyday for work. I wouldn't count that as exercise, but just as his regular physical activity level.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Why don't you go by your rate of loss instead? You've obviously been at this some time if you're on the last 10lbs. What is your weekly average weight loss?
  • kclewis416
    kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Okay - so not counting regular daily activities makes sense to me when you put it that way - since it is just my activity level. Got it!

My current weight loss is around 1-1.5 lbs per month - slowing down the closer I am getting to my goal and also since I am doing weights 4 days a week and gaining more muscle (just an assumption from how I look/feel).
  • clcrawford1
    clcrawford1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Okay - so not counting regular daily activities makes sense to me when you put it that way - since it is just my activity level. Got it!

That's it! It's amazing how quickly our bodies adjust to our daily baseline level of activity
  • MrsMcLaughlin2013
    MrsMcLaughlin2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I usually only add it if I do something above and beyond my norm. Like When I cook Thanksgiving dinner...or when I do my big monthly clean and I am scrubbing everything in sight for a good 2-3 hours straight.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

My current weight loss is around 1-1.5 lbs per month - slowing down the closer I am getting to my goal and also since I am doing weights 4 days a week and gaining more muscle (just an assumption from how I look/feel).

If you're losing that little (which is fine, don't get me wrong... it is like that close to goal) adding more exercise calories in the form of housework sounds like a bad call, haven't you been doing this housework in the previous months too? I'd keep things as is, you're losing at a more than healthy rate but the margin for error is small. Even if you don't log weekly huge cleans and lets assume you burn 150 cals doing them, that's 150x4 weeks (or 1 if you clean like me lol) that's only 600 calories. I wouldn't care to be under that much over the course of a month but I suspect you've been cleaning in the past as well so I'd not bother.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't log working around the house. I only log actual exercise like walking on the treadmill or anything else I don't ordinarily do for house work.
  • kclewis416
    kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mrsnatty - this go go going I do everyday has been going on forever. I will not be logging it since it makes total sense to me now that it is my typical day to day activity. Thanks for your input.

Thanks everyone.