Hilarity on the news feed

Options
So anyone else find it hilarious that the blog/news feed on our home pages is pretty much non-stop "you must consume more of this or that" when the whole point of this site is to consume less and banish bro-science? My news feed looks like the diet industry bought the national enquirer.

Recent cognitive dissonances:
"Is 2nd breakfast your secret weapon for weight loss?"
"Is morning coffee the key to longer life?"

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I googled second breakfast, and interestingly enough a myfitnesspal blog showed first.
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/is-second-breakfast-your-secret-weapon-for-weight-loss/
    Then, I googled the second title, again from myfitnesspal.
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/morning-coffee-key-longer-life-week-fitness/

• fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    On the news feed MFP inserts their little blog posts and the blog posts often contradict the message boards when it comes to weight loss advice. The blogs are written by many people who believe in woo/bro-science and it's odd to have that contradictory advice on a site which is otherwise successful thanks to its users.

Truth be told, even the users are all over the map, often posting advice that just makes me scratch my head. I don't think the success is all about the users advice. Rather, it allows for a wealth of information (including the bro science) that encourages people to tailor their diet and fitness needs to what actually works and doesn't work for them. To me, the biggest issue with the diet industry at large is thinking it's a one size fits all type of deal.

Case in point, I eat a second breakfast (though not because I read some blog). I started it mainly to fuel my lunch time workouts, but discovered it was actually helping curb my evening munchies too. Seems silly that a simple 120 cal snack of cantaloupe and cottage cheese would make such a difference, but on the days I eat it... no issues. Days I don't, generally blow my deficit with late evening snacking. Doesn't matter if I adjust either my 1st breakfast or lunch to add in the 120 cals, no second breakfast tends to lead to evening snacking.

Not saying everyone needs to eat a second breakfast or even a first one, but rather then dismiss it as bro science, let's call it what it is, a "possible" solution for those who struggle with evening munchies.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    bkbirge wrote: »
    So anyone else find it hilarious that the blog/news feed on our home pages is pretty much non-stop "you must consume more of this or that" when the whole point of this site is to consume less and banish bro-science? My news feed looks like the diet industry bought the national enquirer.

Recent cognitive dissonances:
    "Is 2nd breakfast your secret weapon for weight loss?"
    "Is morning coffee the key to longer life?"

While the "2nd breakfast" article initially invoked images of hairy barefooted Hobbits gorging on carbs, the article focused on people who rise early for morning cardio. In that narrow context, the first very small meal was to provide energy for the workout and the second very small meal to provide energy for the work morning. Overall, it was describing the calorie needs of a woman on a 1200/day calorie The 'coffee' article, as it said, was a curated collection of big news in the wide world of nutrition. Indeed, the consumption of coffee, coffee, and more coffee has been shown to have statistically significant correlation with longer life spans.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I get more annoyed with the ads for diapers and things involving small children. I don't have or want children, I don't need to see diaper ads every time I open this app.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a few nice recipes off the feeds. Otherwise. meh.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Trainers hate him!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I get more annoyed with the ads for diapers and things involving small children. I don't have or want children, I don't need to see diaper ads every time I open this app.

I get adult diapers.... Rather have those?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

Yes.

No.

Depends.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Lol what I was gonna post!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

Yes.

No.

Depends.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Lol what I was gonna post!

I'm fast with my little gif finding fingers, eh?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I should write for MFP. I got a lot of no "bro science" stuff.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What made me laugh was a facebook comment about the ease of losing weight. "Just replace everything fun in your life with vegetables and grueling exertion".
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The WOO button was created for the blogs lol!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    In fairness, I have gotten some pretty yummy recipes from the blogs!