struggling to cut out sugar(coffee) ,anyone else?

Options
W0rldWarME
W0rldWarME Posts: 12 Member
teas and coffees are my thing! But I've realize that's its also probably my biggest weaknesses. I'm wondering if i could find a suitable replacement or if any of you guys have any tips to help me cut back this old habit!

Also, feel free to add me if you're also in this position. It'd be nice to not feel alone

Replies

• changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like coffee with a chocolate Premier Protein in it. Or with coconut oil blended in. Or with just plain almond milk. Or just black! Cold brew is much milder if you want to take it black and can't deal with the bitterness of hot black coffee.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I use stevia.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Get Stevia. Of the constantly attempted New, Improved sugar substitutes, stevia seems to be closest to good enough.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You could drink it black, or you could just make room for a certain amount of sugar in your hot beverages. Cutting ot your favorites is almost never the answer, but a recipe for disaster.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I too use stevia. Just use it sparingly - if you use a lot it can make a bitter after taste. One teaspoon of sugar is about 2 drops of liquid stevia.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I used to drink it with either sugar or sweeteners but I decided that the sweet drink just gave me the munchies so I stopped sweetening my tea and coffee. It took a few days to get used to it. Now I can't stand the taste of sweetened coffee or tea. I do like my coffee lightened with some sort of milk -- currently unsweetened soy milk is my go to.
  • W0rldWarME
    Options
    That's what I'm dreading is to cut myself cold turkey than crave it and overdo it! Currently trying to add less sugar to adjust :)
    You could drink it black, or you could just make room for a certain amount of sugar in your hot beverages. Cutting ot your favorites is almost never the answer, but a recipe for disaster.

• W0rldWarME
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I Will definitely look into stevia!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    stevia truvia 0 cal sugar free coffee syrups. love caramel, butterscotch, cookie dough etc
  • W0rldWarME
    Options
    unsweetened? Do you use flavored or just original ?
    I used to drink it with either sugar or sweeteners but I decided that the sweet drink just gave me the munchies so I stopped sweetening my tea and coffee. It took a few days to get used to it. Now I can't stand the taste of sweetened coffee or tea. I do like my coffee lightened with some sort of milk -- currently unsweetened soy milk is my go to.

• Akmauser
    Akmauser Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I switched to Torani sugar free and 2% milk. 3 cups of coffee is only 122 calories. Every now and then I'll trow in a tablespoon of sugar for a little extra kick. Much less than using whole milk / creamer and sugar.
  • chriss8026
    chriss8026 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently started just drinking black coffee. I was sure I wouldn't like it but it isn't too bad now.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have my coffee with unsweetened almond milk and cinnamon- the cinnamon gives the same sort of taste as sweet, without being sugary, if that makes any sense.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cut back? What problems do you believe it is causing?
  • ansmit4642014
    ansmit4642014 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hot tea with lots of sugar was my thing so now if I want tea I use peppermint or spearmint tea with only a teaspoon.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I use a good quality coffee (makes such a difference!) with 1/2 packet of splenda. Switching from generic store grounds to a better coffee that I grind at home allowed me to eliminate all the flavored creamers I was adding, thus saving me a chunk of calories every day :)
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It's not giving up on favourite foods, not forbidding any foods. When eating, what you do desire the most to eat in the moment? Whenever possible, choose what you truly want, if not having the choice (what you truly wanted isn't available), but hungry, see which foods you like the most from any foods available.. See how it fits in your calories, how it has effect on macro's.

How are you feeling? Getting more satisfied, pleasantly full, not stuffed.. feeling eated enough?

Being aware about portions..

Enjoy

90rk4i8ojdrg.png
  • NapalmZygote
    NapalmZygote Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cold brew is much milder if you want to take it black and can't deal with the bitterness of hot black coffee.

Cold brew revolutionized coffee for me. No sweetener of any kind needed. So good... 10/10, drink 2 cups daily.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I drink flavored teas that don't need to be sweetened (green tea with mint, peach flavored black tea, etc). I put a teaspoon of hot chocolate mix and a quarter cup of milk in my coffee, comes to about 40 calories which I can handle!
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Strong coffee with whole milk and a bit of sweetener is the thing that gets me out of bed at 5:30 am to get to the gym. I find stevia bitter. I use about 1/2 tsp of agave, which is sweeter to me than sugar.

Agave is also very delicious in an otherwise unsweetened, no triple sec margarita (3 parts tequila,2 parts fresh lime, ice and shaken with ice and a bit of agave). Not that you wanted to know that ;).