Help! I am low on calories and high on sugar

Options
mlpaint
mlpaint Posts: 85 Member
I am having such a hard time keeping my calorie count up and my sugars down. MFP keeps yelling at me because my NET is too low but when I try to think of things to eat that are low in sugar I struggle. I had gestational diabetes with my son so I really watched my carbs/sugars then but for some reason this is much harder to keep under control lol.

Help! Any ideas for quick and easy snacks would be appreciated!

Replies

• jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Chobani Greek Yogurt is the BEST. WAY high in protein. Grilled Chicken Breast is also good.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    more meat/protein...eggs...avacado...almonds
    peanut butter is low in sugar and will add calories too
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    whey protein shakes with nuts or grains- vanilla /chocolate are both good
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Fage %0 Total Greek Yogurt -- and lots of protein shakes!
    If you get greek yogurt -- read the label! If it has more sugar than protein, leave it on the shelf! Most of them do....

There are tons of really good brands of protein that are only about 110 calories a scoop, 3g carbs/sugar and 20-27g protein... thats what I use anyway.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Do you like avocado? A salad with avocado, smoked salmon and prawns is one of my favourite throw-together lunches/dinners

You could grill a chicken breast coated in peanut butter - this will 'up' the calories but is a good source of protein

If you eat a lot of fruit, try changing this to veggies due to the sugar content - they're just as good for you!

Greek yogurt is fab - chop a cucumber and some mint and mix with greek yogurt and serve with grilled chicken

Just a few ideas :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I eat either beef jerky or a chicken breast when I'm where you are right now. Tuna salad and hard boiled eggs are other good options. Greek yogurt is also fabulous. The plain version is not sweet, though, so you might want to add some sort of non-sugar sweetener to it.