Mirina and weight loss

Options
Hi, not sure if this is the right place or not but I've been trying to lose weight for a while I have fibromyalgia and M.E which makes it impossible to exercise my query is I have just had the mirina coil put in today and am wanting to know if anyone has had this and how it affected their weight.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There are a number of threads about it. Some say it made it harder, some say it didn't. I had mirena briefly. The scale kept going up, and my mood and libido went down. And that was the end of that mirena.

Best of luck with yours, truly.
  • samm_ohh
    samm_ohh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I now have had the mirena for a complete year and I haven't gained any weight but I have also maintained and have to take my diet and exercise to the next step to lose weight. I recently just stopped getting my monthly cycle though, not sure if that's normal.
  • AmandaLawter
    AmandaLawter Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena several years ago, and it was awful. I couldn't lose weight, I had horrible mood swings and heart palpitations. I got it taken out and lost 5 pounds the next week. I now I have Paragard which is hormone free. Every "body" is different, though. Mirena may not affect your weight like it did mine.

Good luck to you!
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena for a year, and I've had no problem with my weight. I will say I had a brief period where I was gaining weight, and I totally blamed Mirena for it. But then I realized I had been eating way over my new maintenance in consideration of an injury preventing me from exercising. I went back on a deficit and the weight came off at the pace it should. I think its all mental to be honest, but that is just my experience.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Same as birth control pills. The only weight changes I've had have been due to changes in eating and exercise.
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mirena drove me mad. I was bloated, mood swings, tearfulness you name it. I had it taken off in three months. But I have friends who swear by it and lost weight on it.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love mine, I'm on my second round a total of 8 years. I have lost all my weight while on Mirena. I also stopped having my monthly cycle all together with the first, this is a very common thing, with the second I get one, but its very light. For me it took my body about 3 months to adjust. The first three months I had it, I had regular bleeding, and headaches quite often. But over that time it lessened and by month 3 I felt great. Good luck with yours. As others have posted some women have loved it, some hate it. Its all about you and your body and what works for you.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I've had it the entire time I've been losing and don't think it's been a problem. I'm thinking about having it taken out for other reasons and I'm curious to see what happens.
  • sarahlhunter2586
    sarahlhunter2586 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies they are very helpful.