Working out with a knee injury...

Options
2»

Replies

• TheChaoticBuffalo
    TheChaoticBuffalo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I second the rowing machine recommendation. I have osteoarthritis (bone-on-bone) in both knees and can't stand or walk for very long at a time. I row about an hour and a half six days a week. Almost no impact on the knees and it's a great total-body workout.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'll give you my perspective 57year old male. Two scopes on my left need to replace the ACL. Now I have no ACL that deteriorated and I have bone-on-bone arthritis and I'm eventually going to have to get the knee replaced. Also two years ago double hip replacement.

The most important advice I can give you is talk to your orthopedist and physical therapy about a course of strength training to help your knee. Please whatever you do don't take advice from anybody here. They may be giving you what they think is good advice but without knowing your condition they can give you some information I can do some serious damage.

Also I don't know about the intensity of your workouts and how your program went after the gym but I'll give you my perspective. I'm a big fan of Tony Horton and his workout programs. In P90X he has a routine called plyometrics. a year ago when I did it I basically shuffled my feet to represent the spin jumps that he was showing. Now I can do multiple 360 full spins. The only thing I do is I do it on a mat at the gym to absorb the shock. A lot of it is figuring out what you can do and learn what your body can tolerate in the beginning after the injury
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but I have doubts about rowing machine if you have serious quad issues. It's pretty quad-intensive.