Binge eating and emotional eating

Options
Does anyone have any tips for overcoming binge eating and emotional eating? I have 80+ lbs to lose and if I don't stop binge eating and emotional eating I am never going to get there. Just feeling really down right now about where I am in live and struggling with hating how I look and being embarrassed about what I look like which I think is increasing how much I binge eat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Mummytofitmummy
    Mummytofitmummy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The only thing that kicks me into gear is exercising as it makes me feel guilty about eating so much.
    Also it really helps improve my mood.
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm sad to say that I've been through this too, and I know exactly how you feel!

It turns out that food restriction is itself a trigger for binge eating. So it's ultimately a hopeless battle trying to lose weight before getting to the root of what is causing the binging.

Read this book, and it will help you decide what to do next.

Overcoming Binge Eating, Second Edition: The Proven Program to Learn Why You Binge and How You Can Stop, by Christopher Fairburn
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    All I can do, for me, is just make it to another day and just do better when I do slip up. If I get too down on myself my binges can last 2,3,4+ days and the worse I let myself feel the more I binge, eat, feel bad, repeat, etc. It just doesn't work. Easier said than done I know. I understand all too well the shame, guilt, regret, etc. that goes with binge eating. Plus it seems too easy to fall into a pattern or cycle. I just realllllllly have to keep myself from going to that place, it happens still, I just am working on not letting it happen too frequently. I'm a work in progress! :tired_face:
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm the same! I basically had to just push my way through the first week until I stepped on the scale and let the weight loss motivate me. Like seriously push, crying all the time, getting so irritated that I wanted to eat and couldn't. Cold turkey worked best for me, but it was a rough fricken turkey
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Even if you just worked on maintaining, not gaining, for a few months, that might give you time to practice not bingeing, or if you binge, get back into the groove the next day. Most of us binge. Handling it takes practice.

Once you start to reduce your binges, then cut your calories. It's a slow way, but you're in this for life right, not to just lose some weight for an event or the holidays or something.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 950 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Instead of thinking of "quitting bingeing" I set out to use MFP to "learn to eat again." Because the not-eating was at the root of my binge eating problem.

Here are a few things that have been helping me:
    - I have been learning to eat during the day with a focus on eating protein for satiety.
    - while not keeping any foods permanently off-limits, I don't buy ANY foods I would typically binge on. I don't set myself up to fail.
    - I focus on eating whole natural foods. I did a month-long challenge of whole food eating which retrained my cooking, shopping and food preferences. It's hard to binge on meat and veggies.
    - I save some calories for high volume, low calories snacks after dinner. I can't quit the snacking habit just yet. So I'm learning to save calories for this indulgence and to practice moderation.
    - I'm creating new rituals to replace eating. Like making big batches of iced herbal tea or lemon water to enjoy. Or writing on the community boards here.
    - I have a rule for not eating in front of a page or screen, ever.
    - I log EVERYTHING, every bite. I take a few notes on what triggered a binge if I have one. Then I move on.
    - I allow myself to eat at maintenance some days so my body can learn what an appropriate amount of fuel feels like.
    - I'm choosing slow loss and a healthy learning experience over too much restriction, which always brings backlash.
    - Finally, I'm working on my self-esteem and on improving my thought processes and reactions to situations. Life is full of triggers. We can choose the thoughts we respond to them with.

The results? Since committing to this three months ago I've gone from bingeing several times a week to two or three isolated episodes of bingeing. It's hard work but it's a rewarding journey so far and the weight is slowly coming off, too. Feel free to message me, I am doing this with lots of support from MFP pals.