High Protein Foods?

Options
So apparently I get a lot of carbs and healthy fats in my diet but not enough protein. What are some high protein low carb/fat foods to incorporate in my diet?

Replies

• Skyle33
    Skyle33 Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Protein shakes...I'm serious, if my protein starts falling behind through the day, I make a shake. In addition, any lean meat like fish, chicken, turkey etc. or things like quinoa, eggs, tofu, yogurt, or beans even.
  • caliallie2
    caliallie2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Easy: Eggs, fish, tofu and soy meat replacement foods like veggie dogs and burgers, assorted cuts of beef, chicken, canned tuna, canned salmon, canned chicken, cottage cheese, greek yogurt (plain), cheese, nuts, Protein powder yes but you don't want to live only on processed powders, its fine to supplement but real food is the best source. If you aren't carb fearful, beans, lentils, and many whole leafy greens also are rich in protein. How much protein are you aiming for?
  • SpideyWebSlinger
    SpideyWebSlinger Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    258 grams of protein... Every other day alternating between more carbs and fats. 100 grams carbs, 140 grams of fats one day; and 200 grams of carbs, 96 grams of fats the next day... 2700 calories total is the goal.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    258 grams of protein... Every other day alternating between more carbs and fats. 100 grams carbs, 140 grams of fats one day; and 200 grams of carbs, 96 grams of fats the next day... 2700 calories total is the goal.
    You are having trouble reaching your protein goal because it is far too high.

The RDA is 0.8 grams per kilogram (about 56 grams for men) and the general recommendation to be sure you are getting enough protein in outlying situations such as weight loss is 0.8 grams per pound of your goal weight.
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    For me , from calculations, I have 182 g as goal for 1320 calories (55%) , usually I am doing around 150g from tuna, sirloin steak, pike fish , goat cheese
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Your goal is unnecessarily high. There is no reason I know of to go over 200 grams of protein for the vast majority of people. 150-180 g should be more than enough for the some of the heftiest muscle goals and will be easier and cheaper for you to maintain.
  • JAYDENJONES78
    JAYDENJONES78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    YEAH MAN U SPENDING TOO MUCH MONEY TRYNA REACH THAT PROTEIN GOAL
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    OP: Don't listen to those who tell you that you're taking too much protein.

That's just an anti-protein bias on this site that is often repeated but is not based on anything other than the normative study data claiming that most people only need 0.8-1g protein per pound, which doesn't take in individual goals/needs. On this point comments vary on whether it's 0.8-1g per pound of LBM, body weight or goal weight. It doesn't matter.

There are a lot of GOOD reasons to be on a high protein diet for the purposes of weight/fat loss and/or LBM and muscle development. Protein is slower to digest, reduces appetite and provides the necessary nutrients for muscle growth assuming you're doing the exercise/lifting necessary to make use of them. Also don't believe those who will tell you that your body can only "use" so much protein intake per meal; that's nonsense too. Everything you eat is used by your body in one way or another; excess protein included and that won't go to fat unless you're in a caloric surplus.

Point is that your protein goal is NOT that high. Based on a 2700 cal diet, 258g only equals a macro of 38.2% (258x4/2700). Your carb and fat macros vary on alternating days from 14.8%C/46.6%F to 29.6%C/32%F. These macros seem entirely reasonable to me.

I've been on a 40P/40C/20F macro diet for over a year and am currently in maintenance at 2000 cals/day. That's 200gP/200gC/180gF per day. With these macros, I lost 38# in the 1st 5 months and dropped my BF to 8.7% over the following 8 months while maintaining my weight at 158 +/- 5#. So, I have no intention of changing my diet.

There are a lot of cheap and readily available sources of protein -- like canned tuna/mackeral that I can get for just $1 a can at the Dollar Store, bulk packed turkey breast meat, eggs, chicken, bulk packed pork loin and others that I can get for less than $1 to around $2.50/#.

I also use protein powders, drinks and bars as well because they provide the best (albeit, not the cheapest) source of additional protein w/the lowest amount of cals. If you can afford them, use them too.

• Sankf
    Sankf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So apparently I get a lot of carbs and healthy fats in my diet but not enough protein. What are some high protein low carb/fat foods to incorporate in my diet?

• Sankf
    Sankf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Add salmon and tona in your diet also chicken breast and shrimps
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat chicken, turkey, eggs, protein powder, cottage cheese, and fish to hit my protein goal. I'm on a 1200-1400 calorie diet and I usually easy about 120g of protein.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
    Turkey
    Chicken
    Almonds
    Protein bars
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    light Greek yogurt
    egg whites
    chicken breast
    Quest bars and powder
  • big_jon_1988
    big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Chicken, cottage cheese, whey powder, beans, stuff like that.