Boredom at the gym / with your PT

Options
Looking for positive comments on how to deal with being bored with my typical routine and even my switched up routine.... hated running - now I love running so it dooesnt give me the same calorie burn bc A. I'm smaller B. I have become accustom to my same HIIT(varied ) ... sigh

Replies

• pinklife1117
    pinklife1117 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also weight train so same scenario - have my typical go to and my varied three others and bored as hell!!! Need something exciting, varied, and new
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    you'd get very close to the same calorie burn in spite of being in better shape. calorie expenditure isn't really about suffering.

for the boredom, i'd talk to the pt. it happens and a good one ought to be able to discuss alternatives and new directions with you.
  • msmcmillan0316
    msmcmillan0316 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do circuit training
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Can you take a weightlifting class at your gym? I just started BodyPump (deadlifts, rows, presses, squats, lunges, all that other stuff) and we're so busy doing all the reps and switching out weights that it's hard to be bored. Have you tried Zumba? The music and movement keeps me focused on what I'm doing instead of wishing I were somewhere else.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do small group classes, so maybe 5-10 of us. Strength, so deadlift, bench, squat. I always have a spotter, training with people I now call friends. I've even signed up to do my first power lifting competition. I just love going.

For cardio, it's either fast team based, or I sign myself up for things. E.g on the concept 2 web site there are a bunch of challenges, I've done those in the gym and we get competitive about it. Or I'll sign up to a race.

When I started in the gym, objective was not to die and complete class, I'm now easily up there with others I aspired to 12 months ago, but constantly look to other people for new challenges.

Im working on pull ups, hoping next year to nail pistol squats, thinking handstands year after. There are lots of things I can't do yet to learn.

For me a mixture of the people I train with and learning new skills makes it fun- but in mist ways it's up to me to drive these not my coach. I tell him my objectives he helps me get there.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do small group classes, so maybe 5-10 of us. Strength, so deadlift, bench, squat. I always have a spotter, training with people I now call friends. I've even signed up to do my first power lifting competition. I just love going.

Im working on pull ups, hoping next year to nail pistol squats, thinking handstands year after. There are lots of things I can't do yet to learn.

@runningjen74

Handstands? or wallstands?

Honestly, if your core is strong enough to work on pullups, there's no reason not to work in pistols and wallstands sooner than later.

If you're talking free handstands, that's a slightly different skill, but still one that relies heavily on skill-strength and core balance.

As you move towards some of the gymnastic/bodyweight drills, I've found Building the Gymnastic Body: The Science of Gymnastics Strength Training by Christopher Sommer to be invaluable.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of group classes or group activities. If running is your thing, do you sign up for 5ks, 10ks etc? There may be a running group in your area that you'd enjoy. Alternatively you may want to consider taking some lessons in a new sport or activity.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

@runningjen74

Handstands? or wallstands?

Honestly, if your core is strong enough to work on pullups, there's no reason not to work in pistols and wallstands sooner than later.

If you're talking free handstands, that's a slightly different skill, but still one that relies heavily on skill-strength and core balance.

As you move towards some of the gymnastic/bodyweight drills, I've found Building the Gymnastic Body: The Science of Gymnastics Strength Training by Christopher Sommer to be invaluable.

Thanks for suggestions. I'd just too much going on off a while - trying to hit one too many targets, but you're absolutely right I should throw them in the mix. I'll look up the book
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Run faster, run farther and you will burn more calories.
  • KeepOnMovjng
    KeepOnMovjng Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm agreeing with group classes but also try just doing random searches on google for exercises in your area other than the gym. I tried exercise classes in.... and for me I got the regular gym classes. Plus events like boxercose, clubbercise (exercise with clubbing approach, just no alcohol), pole fitness, yoga by candle light, freestyle/ urban running. There's actually loads but just not as advertised as they may not be in the gym
  • ziptail363
    ziptail363 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, crossfit is a great way to mix it up. You will never be bored again.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,978 Member
    Options
    Is it summer where you are? Can you get outside? Go for bicycle rides, run outside, hike up a mountain. Even just once a week, get out and do something different.