Eating a low (unsafe) amount of calories.

Options
13»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Add peanut butter to your shakes.

Have more than 1 shake. If you don't have time to make them during work, buy ready to drink ones to keep at work.

By single serving sized packages of nuts.

Add more fat to your dinners.

Add dessert and after dinner snack.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your insights everyone! Too many posts to individually respond to but you'll be happy to know I'm on a break - 15 minutes before I finish - but eating nonetheless!

Thanks for all of the advice!

Yay! That's something.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    bodwomon wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm sorry but from the morning to 7:30pm, it would be illegal for you not to get some sort of break during the day...

It doesn't sound like the employer is preventing her from taking a lunch break, rather that she's choosing not to get up and leave her position for the 10-15 min it would take to eat...

OP, What kind of sales position is this where the flow of customers is so constant that you are unable to risk being away from your post because you don't want to miss the opportunity for commission? I'm a few years out of my sales days but if there's a product that is in that high of demand then I'm thinking I may want to reconsider....

Are you in markets? If that is the case, your desk should have an intern who's usually in charge of going out to grab food for everyone during lunch? Even if that's not the case, there should be somebody on your desk who'd be able to cover your clients/products for at least 5-10 minutes at a time so you could eat a protein bar in the washroom?

Not all companies are going to be big enough to have interns. OP said nothing about the size of the company he works for. And even if said intern grabbed him some food, he's not been taking a break to eat it.

That's why I asked if he was in markets and then gave suggestions upon the assumption he is. Obviously if he is not, then my suggestions are probably invalid.

EDIT: obviously brian is a he derp darwin award

Ah, when you quoted WinoGelato, it seemed like you were asking her if she was in markets. And then confusion erupted.

It's partly my fault. I originally missed the OP's signature and referred to OP as female, then went back and edited my post for clarity. And I have no experience in "markets" so I wasn't even considering that as a sales position, I was thinking of more of a brick and mortar operation with an actual product for sale based on the OP's comments. I was perplexed as to how busy a customer facing sales position could be to prohibit someone from eating, or getting up to take a short lunch break.

Sorry for contributing to confusion, and OP Brian, glad you are finding some time to make getting adequate calories a priority!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but from the morning to 7:30pm, it would be illegal for you not to get some sort of break during the day...

It doesn't sound like the employer is preventing her from taking a lunch break, rather that she's choosing not to get up and leave her position for the 10-15 min it would take to eat...

OP, What kind of sales position is this where the flow of customers is so constant that you are unable to risk being away from your post because you don't want to miss the opportunity for commission? I'm a few years out of my sales days but if there's a product that is in that high of demand then I'm thinking I may want to reconsider....

Are you in markets? If that is the case, your desk should have an intern who's usually in charge of going out to grab food for everyone during lunch? Even if that's not the case, there should be somebody on your desk who'd be able to cover your clients/products for at least 5-10 minutes at a time so you could eat a protein bar in the washroom?

Not all companies are going to be big enough to have interns. OP said nothing about the size of the company he works for. And even if said intern grabbed him some food, he's not been taking a break to eat it.

That's why I asked if he was in markets and then gave suggestions upon the assumption he is. Obviously if he is not, then my suggestions are probably invalid.

EDIT: obviously brian is a he derp darwin award

Ah, when you quoted WinoGelato, it seemed like you were asking her if she was in markets. And then confusion erupted.

It's partly my fault. I originally missed the OP's signature and referred to OP as female, then went back and edited my post for clarity. And I have no experience in "markets" so I wasn't even considering that as a sales position, I was thinking of more of a brick and mortar operation with an actual product for sale based on the OP's comments. I was perplexed as to how busy a customer facing sales position could be to prohibit someone from eating, or getting up to take a short lunch break.

Sorry for contributing to confusion, and OP Brian, glad you are finding some time to make getting adequate calories a priority!

I had followed your comment just fine, it was the quote immediately followed with a question. Since usually anything following a quote is directed at the person being quoted.

I'll take a nap now, and everything will be better again soon. :bigsmile:
  • sabern
    sabern Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    legally you should have a 15 minute break for every 4 hours worked.. and 30 minutes for lunch. a must, to comply with the fed law
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sabern wrote: »
    legally you should have a 15 minute break for every 4 hours worked.. and 30 minutes for lunch. a must, to comply with the fed law

NOT strictly true.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

There are a lot of jobs where on paper, there's a lunch break, smoke breaks too, that do not exist in reality. A good example is many of the positions at many, many human/veterinary medical facilities. The culture at those places is you eat when/where you can. If that means the bathroom, so be it.

Here's the thing. They can't fire you for taking your lunch break. Nor is the "at will" argument applicable. If they did either, you'd likely never have to work again if smart enough to pursue it until the settlement was reached. :)

About the only thing is co-workers without the spine to insist upon it for themselves as well, will resent you for yours. Grow a thick skin and realize what your co-workers think of you is not relevant to your life.

Take your lunch break. Take it. Learn to love taking it. Never not take it again starting tomorrow. Nobody ever in the world has looked back and said "Gee, I wish I'd voluntarily worked through more lunch breaks."
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    A pocket full of nuts.

A spoon and jar of peanut butter, eat a huge spoonful or more Everytime you go to the bathroom.

Then a huge *kitten* dinner. And dessert.

I'm jealous. I have the opposite problem. I try to avoid my kitchen all day long.
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Get a shaker and mix Click or Chibe into your water - throw in some ice and you have protein-rich iced coffee. Nobody can object to that.