Anyone have a good diet they like?

Options
psucato
psucato Posts: 71 Member
hello everyone i need some help. Anyone have a good diet they like? I was doing 1200 cal and 20 carbs a day but i just burned out on it after a few years and when i added some carbs back i found a lot of what i lost. So if you have something that is working for you let me know

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Mostly I just eat what fits my calories, focus on hitting my protein and iron, and generally eat nutrient-dense foods, while making room for a few treats that fit my daily budget. I also exercise, both for fitness and so I have a bigger calorie budget.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Wow! 1200 calories and 20 carbs. I am a 5 foot woman, low/medium activity and I eat more than that. Must have been very difficult to sustain. And 20 carbs is what my diabetic husband aims for to lower his blood sugar. Again, difficult to maintain. But he must until he gets good readings.

I do find LCHF the easiest diet but I am not as strict with the carbs as you have been. A 60 gram limit allows more food and weight still comes down, albeit more slowly. And I find moderate fats keeps me from being hungry so I find it sustainable. We don't eat out much and package foods just aren't part of our diets. We are foodies and like to make our own from scratch. The groceries look like a bygone era but the food we make from it is very much a fusion of international dishes with good old comfort foods thrown in. Good luck on your quest. I would still vote for moderate LCHF.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    the best diet is the one you can follow that puts you in a slight caloric deficit. carbs are fine. you followed something for years but didn't hit your goal? Somethings way off here
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, it's about calories. Set a realistic weight loss goal based on a caloric deficit that doesn't leave you starving every day.

Other than that, the eating style is really what works best for you - low carb, high carb, intermittent fasting, keto, etc.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eat a wide variety of vegetables(root & greens) and fruit. Lean meats, fish, chicken, eggs, nuts, seeds. Dairy & grains if you want. Use healthy oils & fats. Determine the best way for you to minimize over eating calorie dense foods while still enjoying the occasional indulgence.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do the "eat whatever I feel like eating as long as it fits within my calorie limit" diet.

I also avoid drinking my calories ... a personal preference. Drinking my calories just isn't filling or satisfying and I'd rather spend my calories on filling food.
  • Dr_Fishbowl
    Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What worked for me may not work for you, with that said I make my meals and food painfully and diabolically boring.
    1. Breakfast: Oatmeal and 2 hard boiled egg
    2. First Break: Carrots and Black Coffee
    3. Lunch: Ham Sandwich and Carrots
    4. Second Break: Peanut Butter Crackers and Black Coffee
    5. Dinner: Salad with a Vinaigrette and a Healthy Choice Dinner

I also allow one cheat meal on my day off so I have something to look forward to, but even then Iv'e tried to "smarten" them up; Veggie Pizza instead of Pepperoni, tossing the bottom slice of bread from my hamburgers ext. I eat my cheat meal early and they usually hits close to 1500-2000 calories so I'm pretty full and content for the rest of the day.

In any case that's how I lost 100 pounds. I had some advantages as I had a buddy who also needed to drop a bunch of weight so we teamed up and killed it in about a year, which I think was probably the most important ingredient. Buddies make anything and everything tolerable.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My diet too is called CICO. I eat what I want in portions that fit my REASONABLE calorie goal.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I follow IIFYM which is basically calories in v calories out with a bit better protein. I typically follow the 80/20 rule when it comes to food. as in most of my food is micro rich and nutrient dense, about 20 is whatever. Sometimes it's 90/10 sometimes 10/90... you feel me? lol
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DASH diet (dietary approaches to stop hypertension diet). Easy to follow:

Eat more fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy foods
    Cut back on foods that are high in saturated fat, cholesterol, and trans fats
    Eat more whole-grain foods, fish, poultry, and nuts
    Limit sodium, sweets, sugary drinks, and red meats
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Up your calories so you don't feel like your hungry if you're miserable you'll burn out quickly, I am at 1500 and I am a 5'3 female. Then just stay within your calorie range, I try to eat healthy foods most of the time but I don't begrudge myself anything as long as it fits in my calorie budget. If you stay within the calories, you will lose weight and if you exercise you earn yourself that many more calories to eat. Just remember it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.