300 calories for 45 minutes on the elliptical?

Options
Does this sound plausible?

162 lbs, 45 minutes, 8-10 resistance level, working hard enough that a conversation would be difficult, heart rate at 75-80% max

I know that no one can say absolutely for sure but does 300 calories sound reasonable? I don't want to overestimate too much, but I also don't want to short change myself too much since my daily calorie goal is on the low side.

Replies

• fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'd imagine you could burn a lot more than that.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I would say yes....I can do 300 calories on stairmast in 30 min.
    Go hard enough on elliptical, 300 calories at 45 min seems plausible
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It is definitely possible to burn 300 calories in that amount of time. But, the elliptical routinely tells me that I have burned 300 cals when my Garmin only gives me credit for 75-125ish.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Definitely within the realm of possibility for a reasonably fit person breathing too hard to home a conversation. You said your daily calorie goal is low to begin with so go with it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    thats 6-7 calories a minute, that sounds legit.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not! I'm 175 and I usually burn roughly 400 calories in 30 minutes starting at level 5, going up to level 12, and then going back down to level 3 - 4 when I'm cooling down those last two to three minutes. I'm sure you're going to burn more than 300 cals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes - entirely plausible.
    Could well be on the low side.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yes - entirely plausible.
    Could well be on the low side.

That was my thought. IF you're using the elliptical well(I almost said correctly, but that's more of a form word) you can burn as many or more calories than running due to the variable intensity/whole body engagement.

That being said. you can also get on there and pedal at 3 mph and level 1 and burn fewer calories than standing still(I jest..mostly)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd say 300 is a good cautious estimate that you could eat 100% back with little concern. See how you go and if you are losing quicker than your MFP settings adjust accordingly. :)
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can do 300 in 20 minutes but I have my level start around 13 and end at 15, kills me lol
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    lizholt326 wrote: »
    Does this sound plausible?

162 lbs, 45 minutes, 8-10 resistance level, working hard enough that a conversation would be difficult, heart rate at 75-80% max

I know that no one can say absolutely for sure but does 300 calories sound reasonable? I don't want to overestimate too much, but I also don't want to short change myself too much since my daily calorie goal is on the low side.

Log it as the 300 calories, continue for a month and if your weight loss/gain coincides with your input, it's right. If your weight loss/gain does not jive with those numbers, make an adjustment. Calorie burns are all estimates and are different for each of us.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That sounds very conservative, honestly.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. Depending on what you have the resistance set at.
  • lizholt326
    lizholt326 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone!
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I weight 154 and use a garmin watch wen exercising, i usually burn around 100 calories every 10 minutes on cross trainer, hope this helps :)