Rate of Weight Loss for Short People with less to lose?

Options
Hi MFP friends. Do you eat back most of your exercise calories? I do, and when I calculate my projected weight loss pursuant to the site, it estimates I will only lose 3.3 pounds in 5 weeks, or about .6 pounds each week. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should lower my calories, not eat back my exercise calories or give up on trying to lose 2 pounds a week because maybe that's unrealistic for me at 5'2" and 129 pounds or so. What do all of you think? Is a 2 pounds a week rate of weight loss unrealistic for short people who have 10-15 pounds to lose?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes. I always eat them back. the closer you are to goal, the slower it will be, my friend. Many people find they must change the weekly loss goal to 1/2 lb. or even to maintenance to drop the last 5 or so.

I've got 2 to go and it's slow, but I'm thrilled that I learned to eat more. I starved on 1200 cals for 15 mos and all that did was make me GAIN 15 lbs. crazy. Now I eat 1530-2800 depending on the amount of exercise, and I dropped 13 lbs. in 2 mos.

good luck.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i would say its a lot harder to lose two pounds of weight since you have so little to lose.

the less you have to lose, the closer you should be to maintenance calories intake.
  • skyls
    skyls Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says eat your exercise calories, but that did not work for me. I followed that for nearly 3 months and lost 0 lbs. Now I eat back only half of my exercise cals, putting me at around 1400 when I exercise and burn around 500. I have lost 1 lb a week since switching to this 3 weeks ago.

I think you should just play with it, and see what works for you. Maybe eat them all for 1 month and see how that works,then the next only eat half or whatever you want to try.

I am 5'2 and 147 right now. My goal is to be about 110 as my ultimate goal.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3ish at about 133 lbs. I started at 1200 cals, and super excited to lose the extra lbs but my body was just like noo gooo.. I went up to 137 :( and then shot back down to 133 and ended up right where I started. I upped my cals to 1400 (1/2 lb a week) and have been seeing A LOT more difference.. not just in my body but also the way I feel. I have a lot more energy this way too which is great for working out (I do running & strength training) and adding more activity into my day. :-)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Its unrealistic to have your goals set at 2 pounds per week when you have that little to lose... the .6 that you are losing is perfect. keep it up!
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!:smile: Your input really helps and is what makes this site great!