Am I eating too much?

Options
Hello,

As my title asks, am I eating too much? I know I'm only eating less then 1300 calories a day but am I eating too much fruit and vetables and meals?
I'm a nurse on a rotating roster. I weight 49kgs now and I'm 153cm tall. I go to the gym 5 times a week and on the weekend normally go mountain bike riding and run around the lake (5ks).

I get hungry frequently so I try to eat frequently but small portions. I meal prep all my meals for the week. This is my average week;

I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance and tips as how everyone else is doing. My goal is to become leaner, stronger and lose 2kgs.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm about your same height and between your starting weight and goal weight. I don't think 1300 is too much, especially since 1200 is the bare minimum. For me, if I'm pretty sedentary my maintenance is around 1400. If I exercise, I'm usually around 1700 or so (based on my fitbit which seems accurate so far based on weight loss.) So if you're like me, I think you can lose eating 1300 calories. The downside is that being this height and weight, we just don't burn very many calories, so you either have to be super precise with your logging or add in some exercise. Unless you are doing some very vigorous exercise, I would not recommend eating back your exercise calories. Subtracting exercise, your deficit might be only 200 calories or so, which can easily be swept away by logging errors, so burning extra calories with exercise gives you a nice cushion for logging errors.

Other than that, I think you'll do great. As usmcmp said, strength training is your friend, and don't worry about too much fruit. Just be sure that you're weighing all of it or again, you might wipe out your whole deficit because you thought your "large" banana was a "small." Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Meal timing is irrelevant. You can eat as many or as few meals as you would like, it comes down to calorie intake. There isn't a think as too much fruit or vegetables unless it's causing you to get too much of certain vitamins or if you are prevented from eating adequate protein.

Your stats seem to show that you are already fairly small. If you want to be lean and strong you should consider a strength training/weight lifting program and increasing protein a little.

I am seconding this advice. ^^^^

A recomp at the weight you are will more than likely give you the same results as losing 2kg, but with a better muscle to fat ratio- this will give you a leaner and more sculpted body.

1300 would be a base calorie for a sedentary activity level for someone with your stats.

Set MFP up to reflect your daily activity level at maintenance, and eat back exercise calories.

It may take a few weeks to get your calories adjusted. Some of this will be water retention due to change of routine and TOM, some food digesting.

Look at using a weight tracker like happyscale or trendweight if you track daily.

Cheers, h.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    echo everyone else--given that you are 107 lbs and 5 feet tall and a bmi of 20.9, you really dont have a lot to lose. Maybe you want to eat at maintenance and work on a recomp. Everyone is different, but when I tried to get down to that weight (i'm similar height) through dieting I lost my period for years, was cold, tired, etc.