food ranked #1

Options
just found this article (please see point #9)!!!

and thought ppl may be interested! enjoy! :drinker:

Nine Reasons Why You Should Eat Sweet Potatoes

1. Sweet potatoes are high in antioxidants, which work in the body to prevent inflammatory problems like asthma, arthritis, gout, and many more.

2. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of carbohydrates for those with blood sugar problems. These fibrous root vegetables can help regulate blood sugar levels and prevent conditions like insulin resistance.

3. Sweet potatoes are healthy for the digestive tract. Being rich in digestive fiber, especially when the skin is also consumed, it helps to relieve constipation and may prevent colon cancer.

4. Sweet potatoes are good for those who are pregnant or trying to conceive because they are high in folate, which is essential for the healthy development of fetal cell and tissue.

5. Packed with important vitamins and other nutrients, eating sweet potatoes can boost immunity by supporting the needs of the body.

6. Sweet potatoes are good for preventing heart disease. High in potassium, sweet potatoes can help prevent the onset of heart attack and stroke. Potassium also helps to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in the body, which is important for stabilizing blood pressure and regulating heart function.

7. Sweet potatoes are good for alleviating muscle cramps. Potassium deficiencies are a leading cause of muscle cramps, as well injuries. By making sweet potatoes a regular part of your diet (along with proper exercise), you can expect an energy boost and fewer muscle cramps and injuries.

8. Sweet potatoes are good for treating stress-related symptoms. The body tends to use a lot of potassium and other important minerals when it is under stress. Sweet potatoes provide important minerals that will help maintain balance throughout the body during times of stress.

9. Sweet potatoes ranked number one in nutrition out of all vegetables by the Center for Science in the Public Interest because they are such a rich source of dietary fiber, natural sugars, complex carbohydrates, protein, carotenoids, vitamin C, iron and calcium.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031543_sweet_potatoes_minerals.html#ixzz1TRzAsk2d

Replies

• JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    Dang it! I hate sweet potatoes. I have tried them a million times....I can't eat them!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Did you see the results of the recent Harvard study that shows eating potatoes leads to a pretty significant weight gain? I live in Idaho so people are kind of upset about it. I guess it's the way the body absorbs the energy in potatoes (prepared any way) is pretty much the same as the way we absorb simple sugars.

I'm not SURE if sweet potatoes are included, but I would imagine they are. It sucks because I love potatoes but I'm not going to eat them if they turn straight to fat.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes, sweet potatos have lots of nutrients and vitamins and can be enjoyed in moderation. However, they have a lot of calories for the nutrients.

The most nutrient dense foods (most nutrients for the calories) are greens :smile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this. . I love it! It is so nice to have well researched information presented on here. . . :smile:
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You can still eat your potatoes, just measure them and weigh them!! They have good stuff for you and carbs are not all bad!! Just balance it out with all of your other food groups!! I eat potatos about twice a week and love them!! Have about a 3 to 5 oz serving and enjoy!!!
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are completely different than white potatoes. Plus you can eat a baked sweet potato with just about nothing on it and it's moist and creamy, not so with a white potato.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Dang it! I hate sweet potatoes. I have tried them a million times....I can't eat them!

I tricked my kids into liking sweet potatoes with out them even knowing it. Here is what I did. I took the canned sweet potatoes kind and drained it added a little butter and milk like with mashed potatoes along with some cinnamon and nutmeg like in pumpkin pie and mashed it all up and served it along side grilled skinless chicken breast and canned spinach. They LOVED it and ask for it all the time. An emergency meal from something in the back of my cupboard turned into a weekly staple. Dont know if you
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Love my sweet potatoes too. Love to roast them and have them on a salad. They do pack a pretty hefty calorie punch but it is worth it. I measure everything so I know I'm not over doing it.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm using to make soups during the winter. Those, pumpkins, and turnips. OM NOM NOM.
  • Stephiede
    Stephiede Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Trish,
    Wow, this is the same way I cook my sweet potaoes. YUMMY!!!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a big fan of sweet potatoes... until I found sweet potato fries. HELLOO!!! :) I have seen the light!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I only like them smothered in brown sugar, butter, and marshmallows. Probably not so healthy anymore. I am more of a green veggie girl myself-spinach, zucchini, cucumbers, broccoli=yum!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Did you see the results of the recent Harvard study that shows eating potatoes leads to a pretty significant weight gain? I live in Idaho so people are kind of upset about it. I guess it's the way the body absorbs the energy in potatoes (prepared any way) is pretty much the same as the way we absorb simple sugars.

I'm not SURE if sweet potatoes are included, but I would imagine they are. It sucks because I love potatoes but I'm not going to eat them if they turn straight to fat.

Sweet potatoes are not the same as potatoes. They are a root vegetable, but are considered different. Sweet potatoes are almost always considered vegetables where regular potatoes are usually considered a starch.I would be surprised if a nutritional study grouped the two together.

I also wanted to say, the list left off the best reason: Sweet potatoes taste REALLY good (especially plain!! leave off the butter and brown sugar and all that, you can taste the vegetable itself)
  • darthjen
    darthjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Alexia bagged sweet potato products are soooooooo good!
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes. I eat one at least once a week. They may have alot of calories but they are pretty filling! I can make a dinner out of that and some steamed veggies :)
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My mom also used to make this for appetizers when we had guests or needed to bring a veggie tray and I LIKED it. I dont know about the calorie count but I am sure it could be modified in some way. You make a dip with refried beans a little bit of mirical whip and ketchup salt pepper and garlic powder. Then you peel the raw sweet potatoes and cut it up like you were making french fries. Dip and enjoy, just like that :)
  • wolfpack111
    Options
    This is so funny you just posted this because I was talking to my friend of how OBSESSED I have become with them! I eat 1/2 cup at dinner along with some good brotein and fiber! :laugh:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I only like them smothered in brown sugar, butter, and marshmallows. Probably not so healthy anymore.

Maybe not healthy, but definitely tasty!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a big fan of sweet potatoes... until I found sweet potato fries. HELLOO!!! :) I have seen the light!

right there with you! sweet potato fries put me in m happy place.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

right there with you! sweet potato fries put me in m happy place.

I love sweet potato fries, too. Far better than regular fries. Saddly, most of the nutrition is lost when you deep fry them.
    Here's a healthy alternative (and probably costs less, too). Slice up a sweet potato into wedges. Spray them with olive oil or butter (lightly) and a bit of seasonings. Bake until they're cooked through. (I'm guessing 15-20 minutes, depending on size of wedges). They taste about as good as the fries and still have all the nutrients!