Okra Recipes

Options
Lutiebelle
Lutiebelle Posts: 36 Member
Just got some okra in my produce box. Any good no-salt no-frying recipes out there?

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see this. I can't have okra around. The urge to batter it, fry it, and dip it in ketchup is just too strong. :blushing:
  • Eats_With_A_Fist
    Options
    Most of my okra recipes involve throwing the okra out and then eating something else...sorry I can't be of more help! :p
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Some sort of stew! The only time I've ever had okra was in a soup from subway that was quite spicy and delicious.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The only way I know to cook okra without all the oil is to put it on foil lined pan battered with meal and spray it with cooking spray. Bake it in the oven for a while, turn and spray again. It's not the greatest but it is a lot healthier and it is okra....
  • PixiePerry
    PixiePerry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love OKRA anyway it's cooked.... fried, boiled and slimy, in stew. But my husband will not eat it boiled. So I started steaming it in a small amount of water spread out in a large frying pan. Steam it just long enough to make it tender without splitting it open and getting slimy. TRY IT and I bet you'll like it. If my picky husband can eat it steamed, so can you....lol. :smooched:
  • shel66216
    shel66216 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I roast mine unbreaded with a drizzle of olive oil and blackened seasoning.
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is an Indian recipe. wash and pat dry okra and make a slit on one side to fill in the indian spices mentioned below.

1. Cumin power 1 tsp
    2. turmeric powder 1 tsp
    3. Chat masala ( u may get in Indian stores) 1 tsp
    4. Coriander powder
    5. 1 tsp Oil
    6. Okra 12 nos
    7. Lemon juice ( One lemon)

Method:-

Mix all the ingredients with oil so that its damp enough to stay put in the slit of Okra. Place all the filled okra in a thick bottom microwave vessel and cook it for 7 mins. Remove it from microwave and stir and and cook again for 5 mins.

Can be eaten with indian roti or bread.

P.S. If you like it little hot. please add 1/2 tsp of paprika powder
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I throw whole okra in a foil packet, and seasoning (I used reduced sodium seasoning salt but i'm sure any mrs. dash would be good), grill it until it's black in some places, and then eat it with yellow mustard. Sooo good.... crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    These all sound good. Our okra plants in our garden have taken off, so any way to cook it (other than fried) would be awesome. Thanks!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    slice it up, pan fry it on a VERY hot frying pan with just a tiny bit of oil until browned, throw in some garlic and soy sauce and boom.