Alcohol

Options
Ok, I will not give up alcohol to lose weight!

I love beer and wine (and well all alcohol) and I need some friends who are in the same boat!

I prefer beer especially microbrews! And would like some friends who are the same way, who like (or love) alcohol especially beer and won't give it up :)

I can't be the only one :blushing:

Replies

• TheJesterKing
    Options
    You are definitely not alone! I've had to cut back on my love for craft beer, but only till the weekends :).
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options
    To each their own, but you're only making it an uphill battle. You don't have to completely give it up, but should definitely cut back in moderation. I'm not a huge fan of Jack and diet coke, but sacrifices must be made if you want to get serious about shedding the pounds. Three full-flavored beers can account for over a third of a dieter's daily calories, and you get no nutritional value or full feeling whatsoever.

But again, whatever floats yer boat.....
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    I looove microbrewered beer and even brew some in college with my microbiology professor in our Microbio club. Now I want more lean muscles... I only drink it sometimes. SInce I can't have just one, I would want more :) So , I stick with white wine if I really want to drink, I usually don't want more then one. If I do drink microbrew, I am sure to do more fitness next day. Compared to regular beer microbrew has more calories, hahah, cuz it tastes better! :)))
  • Reedt2k1
    Reedt2k1 Posts: 11
    Options
    mmmm beer. No you are not alone =)

I've even gone so far as to begin home-brewing. Got myself quite a nice little setup. With a kegerator I made out of one of those moveable cooling stations you see in the stores (where they put sodas, or yogurt or whatever in them).

Homebrewing is tons of fun, just wont cut back on the calories, lol.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I love it but I more or less gave it up because I'd rather use those calories on food - and I ALSO find it makes it harder to say no to snacks when I drink. I do have a pint occasionally but I have to really budget for it.

I plan to bring it on back into my maintenance (in...ugh like a year I guess) since I'll have 500 or more extra calories to work with then. I can eat the same as I do now and have a couple beers or dessert :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Well give it up for a bit to get to your goal quicker and then have a celebration! lol
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    i only drink when theres something to celebrate like birthdays wedding etc and have always been like that ..........its a birthday tonight so party time :)
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I had that attitude for years. For well over a decade have been trying to lose 10 kgs. Finally I gave up alcohol and now I've lost the weight.
    I think if you can't give it up y ou are not really choosing to be successful in weight loss. But its hard, esp when you are younger (I'm 42 now)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I had that attitude for years. For well over a decade have been trying to lose 10 kgs. Finally I gave up alcohol and now I've lost the weight.
    I think if you can't give it up y ou are not really choosing to be successful in weight loss. But its hard, esp when you are younger (I'm 42 now)

I lost 45lbs in 3 months while still drinking, yes, I have cut back but like I said I won't give up alcohol to lose weight. If I won't stick with it forever, I won't give it up to lose weight and I will never give up alcohol forever.
    mmmm beer. No you are not alone =)

I've even gone so far as to begin home-brewing. Got myself quite a nice little setup. With a kegerator I made out of one of those moveable cooling stations you see in the stores (where they put sodas, or yogurt or whatever in them).

Homebrewing is tons of fun, just wont cut back on the calories, lol.

:) I'd 'friend you' but we are already friends :)
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    I won't give it up!!! NO WAY! lol
    I like beer, wine, cider, sake, and vodka!!!!!! Margaritas too! lol
    I don't get mad at myself for going over because of alcohol!!!
    I really try to only drink on Fridays and Saturdays!!!
    I think, if I am good all week then why stress myself out about going over a little!

:drinker: :drinker::drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker::drinker::drinker: :drinker: :drinker::drinker:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I just switched to light coolers and all is well. They fit into my day easily so whenever I want one I do it!

If I'm having a "cheat" day anything goes.........I'll drink almost anything except beer.
  • elliecolorado
    Options
    I won't give it up!!! NO WAY! lol
    I like beer, wine, cider, sake, and vodka!!!!!! Margaritas too! lol
    I don't get mad at myself for going over because of alcohol!!!
    I really try to only drink on Fridays and Saturdays!!!

:) I never feel guilty when I go over because of alcohol either! And I try to keep my drinking to weekends too (doesn't always work though). But since the only time I ever go over is because of alcohol I don't worry about it.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    as long as it fits in with your daily calories, and youre still getting proper nutrition, then its your choice entirely, but it IS a lot of empty calories, and you will be making it harder for yourself to lose weight.
    I still drink, but not much. Can you swap stuff like beer for maybe a spirit with a slimline mixer?
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    :) I never feel guilty when I go over because of alcohol either! And I try to keep my drinking to weekends too (doesn't always work though). But since the only time I ever go over is because of alcohol I don't worry about it.

We must have been separated at birth!!
  • elliecolorado
    Options

We must have been separated at birth!!

Glad I'm not the only 'lush' ;-) Added you
  • timmy2strikes
    timmy2strikes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hey Ellie... I feel ya but like others on here I stick to Friday and Saturday only to drink beer, maybe a Sunday once in a while and then maybe a glass of wine with dinner once a week. You cannot give something up completely if it's gonna make you unhappy. If your unhappy you get depressed and if your like me you eat when you feel a bit down. Have your beer, have your cheesecake or have whatever it is that makes you happy. Just have it in moderation. It also makes it that much better when you do finally have it.