How long does it take your body?

Options
How long does it take your body to get used to exercise? I am severely overweight by about 100 lbs and my hubby and I have been walking (with small jogging spurts) for a mile evrry other day. By the time I'm done my legs are on fire and really stiff along with new blisters every time I go. Also any tips for the blisters and being a new walker?

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    For the blisters...bodyglide (or roll on deoderant all over the feet) along with a decent pair of trainers.
    For the discomfort, maybe take out the jogging spurts until you can walk the mile comfortably, I took my activity up very slowly, starting with just 100 more steps each day. as you lose weight it'll become easier too.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    You would do better to wait on the jogging until walking is comfortable. It's better to walk farther rather than faster. If your legs hurt after your walks, try a bath in Epsom salts. That eases sore muscles.

As to blisters, get a good pair of walking or running shoes that fit your feet well. Don't wear cotton socks - they hold on to moisture and are more likely to cause blisters. If you have certain areas that always blister, put athletic tape over the area before you go on your walk. Your feet will toughen up with time, but it will take a while.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes don't fit properly and might be too old. Go to a running store and have them fit you for better shoes. They had me try on 5 pairs before we found the best fit for me. Proper shoes may decrease your leg pain, too. In the meantime, try to walk farther and put off jogging for awhile. The running store people can also give you advice about how to ease into a jogging program if that's your ultimate goal. I started walking 5 minutes, jogging 30 seconds, walking 3 minutes, jogging 1 minute, etc. See if there are YouTube videos about stretches you can do after your walking/jogging program to loosen up your legs. Be sure not to start out too fast: you should be able to carry on a conversation with your husband while you jog.

• clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me, my socks make a big difference for blisters. If your socks are loose and moving under your shoes it will cause blisters even if your shoes fit properly. Try investing in some socks made for running that provide support at the arches and don't move around under your shoes.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If you have the proper shoes and socks you shouldn't blister very much if at all. Secondly, what you are describing are shin splints, which can have a lot of different causes from poorly fitting shoes; a slamming stride that comes down on the front part of the foot rather than landing flat, on your mid-foot; too long a stride for your height; and, having your hips too far forward when you hand.

Additionally, your shoe should fit tightly all around your foot and your toes shouldn't slam against the toe box.

Find a shoe store with experienced staff (not just someone working there for the summer) and get fitted with the correct "cross-trainer" running shoe. You can also look on Amazon in advance and read people's reviews so you can get an idea as to which shoe might work for you in advance of going somewhere and seeing it in person.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Shorter walks, no jogging, and different shoes are what I would recommend. Don't be afraid to take baby steps. It's far better to pull back on what you are doing and be able to continue your ease into exercise than to continue as is and have to quit due to injury. Best of luck to you, OP.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Work up to walking for half an hour at a decent pace (covering at least a mile and a half) and then look at c25k.