IIFYM

Options
Hey all,

I'm on my first week of seriously counting macros and looking for other friends that do the same. Trying to drop a few pounds but mostly gain muscle. I'd love to see what other people do with their macros. If you count macros or just simply want some support or a friend add me

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Generally, you can't lose fat/drop weight and gain muscle at the same time. Perhaps focus on the fat loss first, being in a calorie deficit, then work on the building muscle part after that?

I do IIFYM, and pretty much just manipulate carbs depending on my goals. Protein and fat stay more constant. I also cycle carbs so I get at least one "high" day where I can fit in more fun food...
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I do IIFYM, and pretty much just manipulate carbs depending on my goals. Protein and fat stay more constant. I also cycle carbs so I get at least one "high" day where I can fit in more fun food...

This is pretty much my approach.
    But since the OP is new to this, you are better to just stick with a fixed set of calories that allow you to meet your goals.
    Don't over complicate/overthink things.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Alan Argon came up with IIFYM and it was meant to answer questions people had about food choices on a cut, "can I eat chicken breast with the skin on?" The IIFYM diet was never meant to be eating junk, it is not eat whatever you want if it fits your macros. It is not okay to have a junk diet if you are concerned with long-term health. You can hit body composition goals with eating junk but there is still the health issues.

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    Alan Argon came up with IIFYM and it was meant to answer questions people had about food choices on a cut, "can I eat chicken breast with the skin on?" The IIFYM diet was never meant to be eating junk, it is not eat whatever you want if it fits your macros. It is not okay to have a junk diet if you are concerned with long-term health. You can hit body composition goals with eating junk but there is still the health issues.

I though Dr Joe klemczewski was credited with IIFYM and the whole pop tart craze
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am pretty certain it was Alan Argon and he had no intention of people going on pop tart binges. Dr. Klemczewski may have publicized his pop tart version though.