Lifehacks: Exercise for busy people

conniecas
conniecas Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
This week I finally started riding a bike to work. We have a great bike share program in my city and it's awesome because I can take the bike to or from work with no obligation to go both ways. The best thing I discovered is that it takes me ~60 minutes doorstep to doorstep, including changing in my office, which is only 15 min longer than my subway commute. I'm getting ~45 minutes of cardio while only adding 15 minutes to my schedule. I guess it's analogous to taking the stairs, but slightly more involved. Unfortunately, winter is coming and this place is not amenable to biking year-round.

Anyone have any other clever lifehacks for how to squeeze in some more daily exercise when there is seemingly no time left in the day?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I bet the timing is a lot more reliable got you this way. When I used to commute by bike, traffic never made my trip home take a surprise extra hour.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    When I'm short on time I try to up the intensity as much as possible. Things like running up the stairs or sprints rather than an easy jog or brisk walk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I wish I could bike commute, but it's not an option really. I get up early and my wife and I alternate mornings because someone has to be around for when the kids wake up...I ride Monday/Wed/Friday mornings along with a ride sometime on Saturday or Sunday...she runs on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday. We try to get some rock climbing in at least once very couple of weeks (our kids typically join us)...weekly would be ideal though. I hit the weight-room on Tuesday and Thursday evening, and sometimes Sunday...she lifts on Friday late afternoon and I pick up the kids from school/camp on Friday.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Honestly, the best thing I did was get beachbody on demand. Then I have no excuse like oooh, I dont have time to go to the gym. And I stick to workouts that are 30 min and under. They have cardio and weight programs. I'm not a coach and I'm not trying to sell it, its just what has worked over the last month or so to get me back exercising. I used to do an outdoor bootcamp before/when I got pregnant three years ago, but after the baby there was no going anywhere at 6 am. I tried to get back into the gym routine but having to pick up the baby if husband didnt get off in time cut that out. This was the best for me bc i can choose to wake up in the morning and do it or do it when i get home, and my toddler likes to watch mommy work out.