Protein powder?

Options
Since I'm having difficulty meeting my daily calorie and protein goals, I've been thinking about adding protein powder to my diet. What is best brand? I'm looking for something that is low in calories and is plant based since I'm not a fan of whey protein. I also need something that is soy free.

Any advice would help! :smile:

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use Healthy N Fit egg white protein because I can't tolerate whey and won't do soy or any other vegan protein. I like the chocolate flavor to mix in my Shakeology, but the vanilla is ok too. You can get it at Vitamin Shoppe or on Amazon
  • Kowalskikm
    Kowalskikm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know that protein supplements have become really popular in the past few years but, most people don't need them. And while adding protein powders may increase calories and protein what they lack in is all of the other vital nutrients that come with other sources of protein. Also, it has been found time and time again that isolated compounds (such as protein and other nutrients) don't provide the same full benefits of the food eaten in its more natural form. So I recommend trying to add in protein and calories through whole foods before adding in a powder. If you are not hungry or get full to quickly make sure that you are eating nutrient dense foods. One way to add protein for breakfast is to make oatmeal and after its done cooking add a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt (full fat for added calories) to the bowl and mix. It makes it super creamy and add protein. Also you can drink milk as you beverage at lunch and dinner with or instead of a glass of milk. Milk has about 9 grams of protein per serving regardless of the fat content. You can also sneak protein into salads by adding beans to your mix. After all of that you are still not meeting you protein needs I would say go ahead and add a supplement. As always though you can consult a registered dietitian (eatright.org) who can help you with your diet needs.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This is what I use in my smoothies, amazing stuff! enjoy!

Raw Protein, Beyond Organic Protein Formula, 622 G

Now you can unlock the nutritive power of living seeds and grains with RAW Protein from Garden of Life — a certified organic, raw, vegan protein powder. Featuring 14 raw and organic sprouts, RAW Protein is an excellent source of complete protein, providing 18 grams, or 35% of the Daily Value, plus all essential amino acids. RAW Protein contains Vitamin Code fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, and supports digestive health and function with live protein-digesting enzymes and powerful probiotics.

no whey. no soy. about 30 bucks a pop:drinker:
  • TooFit2Quit
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is my 1 and only :) But it's whey based, nvm :/
  • Fitzgeraldguy
    Options
    I have only used Gold standard and I love it...but it's whey protein.

:\
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! :D I'll have to look into each one tonight.
  • P90XLE
    P90XLE Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want to do.

Whey protein is digested fast so it should be taken after a workout, where as Casien protein is slowly digested so you would take that before bed when your body is replenishing itself.