Protein Powder for Women

Options
2»

Replies

• almsha
    almsha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have only tried protein powder in a smoothie once...the grittiness of the powder was so overwhelming I couldn't drink it. How do you not have that problem happen?
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein - the men vs women is all marketing.

I like Optimum Nutrition.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Hmm, "women's protein powder". How long would the CEO of that company last?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    What's the best protein powder for women? I work a desk job, so it's easier for me to just mix together a protein shake and drink it at my desk without actually eating. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm just trying to get more protein into my diet.

I agree with a poster above. Protein for women is the same as for men. 1st Phorm's ice cream sandwhich protein powder is the best IMO. Mixes well in the blender and tastes AMAZING.

I honestly had no idea, so my apologies on the idiotic men vs. women comment.

the only difference is (sometimes) the price...I've noticed that quite often protein that is marketed towards women (in pretty pink containers) is smaller than regular protein powder and more expensive!!! don't fall for that trap - protein is protein!

What's the quote about women specific nutrition/fitness: the advice giver is either stupid or trying to sell something. It might have been mark rippetoe or Jim wendler? Anyone?
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few and pure protein brand chocolate and vanilla tastes the best and least gritty when I blend it up. They sell it at my local store. It's not as high in protein as others but it doesn't upset my tummy like some other brands did.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    almsha wrote: »
    I have only tried protein powder in a smoothie once...the grittiness of the powder was so overwhelming I couldn't drink it. How do you not have that problem happen?

Which brand? Vegan protein powders tend to have that grittiness, plus an unappealing taste, as do the cheaper whey powders.

• gnatseyelashes
    gnatseyelashes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, as a menopausal woman, I can tell you I do not tolerate dairy based protein powders - dairy & all dairy based portein powders gives me hot flashes. My husband, who only has menopause vicariously does not have hot flashes with anything.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    VegaOne or Isagenix is what I use on occasion, but I prefer real food.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    As others have said, protein is protein regardless of gender.

I found that quite a lot of the stuff marketed at women was as "diet shakes" or meal replacements instead of straight supplements, and often included things like caffeine and guarana for their "fat burning properties". And Maximuscle are currently marketing their women's protein in natty pink packaging. :s

I use MyProtein Impact Whey.
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Orgain Organic Nutritional Shake on Amazon or at CVS. It is pre-made and very good. I don't like protein shakes but I really like this one. It has 16 grams of protein.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Not a lot in mine...!

fpwt1hwsd2jc.png
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how many of you know how much sugar is in your protein powder. Not all protein powders are the same and most of the cheaper brands have a lot of sugar. Make sure you are comparing your labels.

just checked mine and they all have between 1 and 3 grams of sugar - I think I'll survive!!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how many of you know how much sugar is in your protein powder. Not all protein powders are the same and most of the cheaper brands have a lot of sugar. Make sure you are comparing your labels.

just checked mine and they all have between 1 and 3 grams of sugar - I think I'll survive!!

Same. In fact, I don't think I've ever purchased a protein powder that had more than two grams of sugar in it. If one is only planning on mixing it with water, I could understand having a bit more but since I only do that sometimes and choose to blend it with fruit otherwise, I specifically look for powders with less sugar. In the end, the sugar content doesn't really matter too much unless someone has a medical condition where they should avoid sugar.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »

Same. In fact, I don't think I've ever purchased a protein powder that had more than two grams of sugar in it. If one is only planning on mixing it with water, I could understand having a bit more but since I only do that sometimes and choose to blend it with fruit otherwise, I specifically look for powders with less sugar. In the end, the sugar content doesn't really matter too much unless someone has a medical condition where they should avoid sugar.

yeah, I think tenaciousgy may have been thinking about premade shakes or drinks (gatorade protein? slimfast?) - some of those have a ton of sugar, but protein powder alone has little to none as it is usually artificially sweetened.
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Tera's Whey. It's all organic and very clean - no added additional crap that could be questionably bad for you!
  • dolcezza25
    dolcezza25 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Sounds like you had a bad protein powder. They're not all the same.
  • lucyelaine
    lucyelaine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I first tried the Optimum Lean Whey Protein but found it quite watery; I switched to PHD Lean Protein which is much thicker and more like a proper milkshake. I too have a desk job, but I go the gym every morning so I have a protein shake at 5.30am just before the gym, and then if I haven't hit my protein target by the end of the day, I will have another before bed. They are high in protein but really low in fat and carbs.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    dolcezza25 wrote: »

Sounds like you had a bad protein powder. They're not all the same.

The first one I had wasn't great. Had that gritty texture! Clearly, it wasn't good quality.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    VegaOne or Isagenix is what I use on occasion, but I prefer real food.

I prefer real food as well, but that's not what I'm asking for! Lol! :)