i struggle to get over 1000 cal

Options
so i'm 5'5" and currently 275lb..i hate even thinking about it. i started at 280...that was 6 days ago. i have very bad anxiety which can cause me to become focused on one thing. i'm gonna throw in a little background real quick: i've always struggled with my weight and tried losing it several times. anyways that being said i've never been this frantic on it. either i feel bad for hitting 1400 or i'm not hungry enough to eat over 1000 which is weird because it always an over eater thus my weight. i feel like if i keep eating this little it's going to lead to a binge but i can't get myself to do it. or the opposite with how anal i am about to lead to something more serious. any advice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Give us a bit more detail on what sort of food you are eating.

People who have this problem have often gone to an extreme, cutting down so much on fat and carbs that their diet consists largely of protein and vegetables. These things are filling and low in calories, so it can become difficult to get up to a calorie goal.

The best solution is to increase fat and/or carbs until you reach a nice balance, where you hit your calorie goal just as you feel nicely satisfied.

Also, 1400 calories at your weight seems very low. Are you sure this is the right goal? How did you arrive at it?
  • emilydawson89
    emilydawson89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i do eat some veggies and fruit through out the day, turkey..pasta? also 1400 isn't the goal, it's about 1800.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Have you cut out anything?
  • emilydawson89
    Options
    Have you cut out anything?

as in since i started less than a week ago? no.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Sustainable long term changes are key. Whatever you were eating to get to 280 was too much. Whatever you gave up to get below 1000 calories is not sustainable.
    You need to find a balance where you are eating enough to sustain your body and include enough of what you like you can do this for life. So somewhere in between.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I understand the anxiety, I have Aspergers (form of autism) and become hyper focused. Something you need to do is learn to change your relationship with food, it's not the enemy, it's fuel and can be yummy. I started at 289.5lb back in November 2015 and 20 months later am at 155lb, and you know what apart from when I was ill I haven't gone below 1800 Calories and some days have eaten as many as 3500.

I'm still hyper-focused but with my councilor's support I've focused on activity, if I don't get 20000 steps in a day then I become very anxious and it turns out I really enjoy intense exercise so I eat to fuel that activity. At 275lb you can easily eat 2000-2500 Calories and lose weight even with a modest number of steps a day (at 250lb+ I could easily burn 700 Calories in an hour just doing what I would now think of as light cardio (it was hard at the time though) such as walking on treadmill at 4km/hr), so build some activity in to your daily life, eat a decent amount and enjoy it.
  • emilydawson89
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I understand the anxiety, I have Aspergers (form of autism) and become hyper focused. Something you need to do is learn to change your relationship with food, it's not the enemy, it's fuel and can be yummy. I started at 289.5lb back in November 2015 and 20 months later am at 155lb, and you know what apart from when I was ill I haven't gone below 1800 Calories and some days have eaten as many as 3500.

I'm still hyper-focused but with my councilor's support I've focused on activity, if I don't get 20000 steps in a day then I become very anxious and it turns out I really enjoy intense exercise so I eat to fuel that activity. At 275lb you can easily eat 2000-2500 Calories and lose weight even with a modest number of steps a day (at 250lb+ I could easily burn 700 Calories in an hour just doing what I would now think of as light cardio (it was hard at the time though) such as walking on treadmill at 4km/hr), so build some activity in to your daily life, eat a decent amount and enjoy it.

it's nice to hear that from somebody who had/has a similar situation to mine. i'm gonna try to work it up. i planned out my meals for tomorrow and it adds up to 1500-1600 cals..if i get close to that it's still progress i suppose. i also have been incorporating walks and that helps ease my mind some.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

it's nice to hear that from somebody who had/has a similar situation to mine. i'm gonna try to work it up. i planned out my meals for tomorrow and it adds up to 1500-1600 cals..if i get close to that it's still progress i suppose. i also have been incorporating walks and that helps ease my mind some.

IF you were honest with MFP, and there's no reason to think you weren't. 1800 will get you well on your way. Also, given your stats, 1800 seems very reasonable.

Pre-planning meals for the day/week is a great way to set yourself up for long term success.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    To add in some calories, try adding almonds or cashews as a snack, or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, or half a small avocado, or an ounce of cheese.
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I became so focused I couldn't eat over 800 - got sick - went to the er - had a hamburger and fries there - that was the end of that.
    Peanut butter is your hero .
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    When you enter in your stats on MFP, it already puts you at a deficit. You could eat 1601 calories and you'll still be at a deficit. Your daily calorie goals should be met +\- 50 cals or so. You'll still lose weight. Realizing this was very helpful to me since I'd eat 25 calories over at the beginning and think I was gaining. It's really only when you get down to a lower weight that you have to tighten up the calorie goal.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest you didn't get to your weight eating a 1,000 calories. The rapid weight loss you're dealing with now is water weight.

Are you using a food scale? If not I would recommend starting to do so, and tracking how many calories you're consuming.

Eat the amount MyFitnessPal mentioned, and set your rate of loss to 1 pound and move it up to 1.5 when you feel more comfortable.

Good luck!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yoga and/or deep breathing can help with anxiety as well as body awareness :):)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I assume you are weighing all foods so that your count of 1K is accurate? If not, start doing that right away.