It looks healthy..

Options
So it appears to be healthy, so I eat it, but later find out it was over 1500 cal for that meal. why do we hide cal in healthy looking food. this should be a crime!

Replies

• Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    what looked Healthy?
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I used to think bagels were healthy, until I started checking the labels for calories and carbs!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that...with a salad! Granted it was a cheese and ham pasta salad... but salad means healthy in my book!
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The best idea is to try and plan ahead as much as possible. If you are going to a restaurant, check the website and see if the nutrition facts are posted.. you'd be suprised to find that a lot of meals that sound healthier turn out to be the worst!
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    the Tropical Chicken Salad at 99 has 800 calories. But if you are burning 1000 cals a day working out, that really isn't a lot of calories for a meal, I guess...

Plus the report on the news that showed Places are lieing about their calorie numbers was kind of disturbing. They showed Olive Garden was off by more than a thousand on one of its plates. Just goes to show you, if you want to eat healthy, you have to cook it yourself so you know what you are really putting in to it.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    So it appears to be healthy, so I eat it, but later find out it was over 1500 cal for that meal. why do we hide cal in healthy looking food. this should be a crime!

Health and fitness is a journey and educating ourselves is an essential part of the journey. Unfortunately, we can not rely on what corporations or restaurants tell us is healthy, or what we have heard from other people. We need to do our own primary research and read as much as we can ourselves.

I think it is safe to assume that restaurant meals and packaged/prepared foods have stuff in there that you don't want to be eating on a regular basis. A focus on whole foods that you prepare should be the majority of what you eat, and then the occasional meal out shouldn't make a big impact (note: occasional is not every day or even several times a week)

It does get easier over time, so I wouldn't stress about anything you've eaten, but use it all as learning experiences.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think over time with analysing my diary every day I've learned the rough calorie count in a lot of foods. When out and about I try and stick with simple foods.

For example I was at a restaurant the other day and I quite fancied the stuffed chicken breast with a leek and stilton sauce - however I've no idea the full list of ingredients it's stuffed with or what's in the sauce. So I had a rib eye steak instead, with no sauce and no fried onions. I pretty much have a good idea of how calorific a rib-eye steak is per ounce and it's pretty much not tampered with so my guess is going to be AROUND the right area.

Pasta salad? Well that's pasta, ham, spring onions and - the important bit - unknown quantities of unknown ingredients in the sauce stuff it's covered in. Could be mayo but I don't know so I avoid.

Pizza? Well I know roughly what's in pizza dough. I know roughly what's in mozzarella. I can roughly guage the weight and calculate. I've NO IDEA what they put in their tomato sauce as different joints do it differently and I'm not about to ask the waiter for the sauce recipe!

Simple, un-processed, un-tampered foods is the key when you have to eat something you haven't made yourself.
  • Xxmiamiaxx
    Options
    my sister does that, I use to laugh at her, but now im laughing at myself!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I ordered a grilled chicken breast from Applebee's once. I think the meal had 1200 calories! The Fiesta Chicken or something. I knew it had melted cheese but 1200, really?
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    Applebees at least has a Weight Watchers section on their menu, and also an apple next to some of their healthier meals.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that...with a salad! Granted it was a cheese and ham pasta salad... but salad means healthy in my book!

Salad is healthy and you can have Cheese / Ham / chicken egg etc etc with it but look at how many calories there are in whatever you are adding before you eat it !!!!!!!!