No sugar diet?

Options
Hi,

Has anybody done this diet? If so, any tips on how to keep on track easily or some more insight on what no sugar really means?

Thanks

Replies

• strongisthenewsexy_squatqueen
    Options
    Thanks, I found some websites which explained it as you have said. Stop eating added sugars but also sugar forms like honey, maple syrup...
    I am also still eating rye bread which has a tiny amount of sugar
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I tried no more than 20 grams of added sugars a day. Not as easy as it sounds. It's eye opening how much added sugar even a slice of white bread has.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Is it some specific diet by some diet guru?

I gave up added sugar as an experiment for a month, so I defined what it meant for myself (I did include honey, juice, dried fruit, syrup as "added sugar" -- they are "free sugars" as defined by the WHO (which means they should be limited)). But my focus was more about avoiding foods I emotionally ate and which were easy to grab (I also dropped snacking). I did not care about sugar from fruits, veg, and dairy. On the other hand, since I was avoiding sweets, basically, I also avoided artificial sweeteners.

I've also done very low carb/keto, and there I cut back on fruit a lot, because carbs. (Now I'm back to fruit, yay.) With low carb I naturally had to avoid most sources of added sugar, but I am not concerned about it if it has like 1-2 g (I still use sriracha, for example). ).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugar = sugar

What matters is context and dosage. Eat in a calorie deficit, hit micros and macros, eat the foods you enjoy, and move more...

Are you really going to eat no bread, fruit, and vegetables????
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Many low carbers cut added sugars from their diet. I rarely eat added sugars. I find sugars (carbs) really drive my appetite and find it difficult to control my caloric intake when my carb and sugar levels go up.

The body deals with starch in the same way as table sugar in the end so limiting it all works for me. ;)

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I tried no more than 20 grams of added sugars a day. Not as easy as it sounds. It's eye opening how much added sugar even a slice of white bread has.

About 1 gram.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

About 1 gram.

I have three kinds of sliced bread in my house right now so I just checked-2 of them have 1g per slice and the 3rd has a whopping 1.5g per slice :p