Do you struggle more with the calories or macros?

Options
For me I always have calories to spare, but I'm always capped out on carbs, fat etc. I try to stay in the green on everything so more often than not I end the day 200+ calories under my target.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    if you hit your macros thn youve hit your calories. Kind of how it works. Macros have a set calorie/gram. I rarely hit my macros spot on but i hit them where im happy being, So i dont stress it
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    If you're always maxed out on carbs and fat, (but not calories), by default you need more protein. Chicken breast is my go to when I get to the end of the day and only have room in my macros for protein. I'm certain that the extra protein I am eating has made it easier for me to stay on track.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    When it comes to macros I am most concerned with getting adequate protein requirements met but letting carbs and fats full wherever they fall that day. I know that I will always get minimum fat requirements and there is no issue with having carbs range from 30-45% on any given day. I am more concerned with overall calories and micronutrients.

Because of this I have more trouble with my macros, simply because it does not bother me.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I only watch protein. Losing weight.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've never really paid attention to macros or tracked them. 4 years into maintenance here, only focusing on my calorie intake :)
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I also don't really worry about macros. I eat what I want, and generally it's pretty consistent.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Calories are the most important thing. As far as macros are concerned, I think it all comes down to how you look at them.

For me, they are important, but that's because my compliance suffers if my macro balance isn't spot on. That's because if my macro balance isn't spot on, I'm not entirely satiated and start to feel peckish and the food in the pantry starts singing its siren song and I don't seem to be good at resisting it these days.

Anyway, the way I back into my macros is by prioritizing the ones I know play a part in my satiety. Protein is king. Carbs (especially starchy ones) are queen. Fat is also important and I have to keep the portions of the carbs right to leave enough room for fats, otherwise ... I start hearing the pantry calling my name, which will make me eat over my calories, which is really the whole point of balancing my macros.

See how it all works together?

Your balance of what is optimal for you might be different. It might not even matter. You could eat different macro ratios on different days and do just fine and only have to worry about a calorie goal. That's cool too. I wish I could do that, I could have a much more varied diet that way!

Don't worry about being in the red or green as long as you're getting enough protein.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Protein is king. Carbs (especially starchy ones) are queen. Fat is also important and I have to keep the portions of the carbs right to leave enough room for fats, otherwise ... I start hearing the pantry calling my name, which will make me eat over my calories

So much THIS! Protein first, then the fiber from the carbs, followed closely by healthy fats. If I don't follow this protocol, Lord help my kitchen floorboards, because I become peckish for the rest of the night.

• threecharms
    threecharms Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Macros are interesting, but I'm still new at this so I focus for calories for dropping pounds. Maybe later I'll have head space to pay attention to macros :)